Thread: Not able to use Office 2004 on Macbook Pro

ThumbsUp Not able to use Office 2004 on Macbook Pro

I need help to use Office 2007 on my Macbook Pro. I had found a installation of the same and installed that Mackbook. Now when I run any application like Word, it does not responds at all. After clicking a while I just a get a message saying that Microsoft Office quits you need to reopen it back again. This appear a number of time. It sends some kind of error report to apple. But yet not updates are received. What should I do know to make this work.

Re: Not able to use Office 2004 on Macbook Pro

Try to re-install this. The best thing I will recommend you is to use Office 2011. From where did you find the installation file of Office 2004. Apple sells only authorized copy of Microsoft Office which has to be purchased. I hope you are not using a pirated copy.

I got this message once when I try to open some office files in Microsoft Office. I had used the same some time before but found error on that so I had upgraded to the newer version now and it is working fine. It looks that there is a compatibility issue with the version of Office suite and operating system you are using. Anyhow there can be certain updates that you can find in your software updater and use it for troubleshooting the office app. Office 2004 is very buggy on mac operating system I am not able to figure out what is the reason behind the same. I think mac does not create additional support for Microsoft version.

Go check the compatibility table of mac os x and see that you can find the version of office you are using as per the operating system listed on it. I do not agree that office 2011 is a good app it is very slow.

What I had found by going to a number of post is that Office 2004 is not really compatible with Lion. If you have Lion installed in your system then you can do nothing to make the application work. There is one thing you can try out. To test the compatibility and proper functioning you can check in a virtual machine about the same. You can install different operating system and run office suite to ensure which works fine. Rightnow it is recommended to go for Office 2011 as this is the most recent and only working version that might work properly in the latest mac operating system.

Did you know that there is no Rosetta support for Office 2004. That is the actual reason behind non functioning of Office 2004 is lack of Rosetta support if I am not wrong. This is mostly with the Lion version.

Why don't you try openoffice for Mac. This is somewhat very similar to the office suite that you are using. I had found open office a very helpful tool for the basic office work and there is no compatibility issue with this on mac. Because of open source solution this application is much better to use on any system.