Thread: How to move Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail

How to move Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail

I have recently bought a Mac and I don’t have much idea about the same and I want to move my outlook mail over to Apple mail, some people has suggested me to use Outlook2Mac but then I am looking out for more easier and a better way to carry out the process, is there anyone who has an idea about it and can suggest me a better workaround??

Re: How to move Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail

I have recently bought a Mac and I don’t have much idea about the same and I want to move my outlook mail over to Apple mail, some people has suggested me to use Outlook2Mac but then I am looking out for more easier and a better way to carry out the process, is there anyone who has an idea about it and can suggest me a better workaround??
    I have used O2M for moving Outlook 2003 (Windows) to Mail.app as well as Entourage, I think that is will be the best and the easiest method for moving Outlook .pst file to Apple Mail, it just helps one in transferring mail, contacts as well as calendar information, I think that the contacts conversion here is just perfect, I have by now transferred 5000 records, if you are just looking out something for transferring mail then you can also load Thunderbird onto a windows machine and then import mail to the same and then copy the .mbx files manually, I have done the same when I had to move mail from Linux to Mail.app and it had worked great, so just check it out and see which possible solution is appearing to be the best choice for you.

I think that Outlook2Mac will be really a better choice, I don’t know why you are not finding it better and easier, I have been using the same to get my Outlook2Mac, it will probably cost you ten buck and it is just worth as well.

I really don’t think that spending on Outlook2Mac will be worth rather I will suggest you to download Thunderbird from Mozilla on a Windows machine, I think that it is the easiest method for importing Outlook, you just have to find out the Thunderbird files which will be a usual documents and it should be there in settings,>your name>local settings> application data… you will have to check out for two files naming Mail and Sent as far as I am aware. When you find out the same then just rename them to Mail.mbx and Sent.mbx and after that just copy them in top your Mac, when you are done with the same then you can just import them any Mail App. Just check it out and I am sure you will find it better.

Even I need some help regarding the same,I have tried following the workaround that you have mentioned above but then it is appearing as if Thunderbird is only importing Outlook mail which are present currently in my Outlook and it seems to be working fine through an exchange serve but then in my case I am willing to import a different PST file, I mean the one that I am having in my personal account from a long time and it is not present in the Outlook anymore, I am having the same on a CD, I don’t think that I have missed anything by now, when I am choosing "import" in Thunderbird then it is just not asking me for a PST location and it is just importing my exchange mail which results in to crash.

I think that you should check out “MOVE MY MAIL TO MAC” if you dot like the same then I just wanted to add that if you are having the developer tools installed on your mac then there might be library called libpst () which will be having a function called "readpst" and this finction will help you out in converting an outlook pst file to an mbox format, so you won’t be having any issues in importing the same to Apple mail but then for this you will also have to get Boost libraries you can get it from the boost organization site, it is really easy to use as it is just a command line set of tools, just check it out and then let me know what you think about the same.

I agree to you for the readpst, I mean that I was having similar case where I had pst file with old emails and the below solution had helped out at that time:
    • First install the readpsta
    • After that run the same and convert the pst file into mbox files and make sure that you are having one file for each folder in the Outlook
    • When you are ready with the same then start the Mail and then go in to File/Import Mailboxes/Files in mbox format

I also wanted share that when I tried importing all the mailboxes at once at the first time then I don’t know why the body of the emails was not imported properly but the later when I tried importing the mailboxes one by one then it was successful, so don’t panic if it happens with you as well. Just give it a try in the way I have told and then it will work.

I have tried out the “MOVE MY MAIL TO MAC” and it worked fine, I have checked out the other programs but then I think that “MOVE MY MAIL TO MAC” is the cheaper as compared to the ones that has been mentioned here and the process is quite easy as well, it has really helped me out in transferring my old Outlook Express to my Mac, so if you want then you can try out the same.