Thread: Windows Media Player 10 and Windows 7

Windows Media Player 10 and Windows 7

Last month I have upgraded my computer and installed Windows 7. I was initially running Windows XP. But I still want to stay with Windows Media Player 10 since I have lot of playlists stored in that and I don't want to recreate it once again. I have backup of the Windows Media Player folder with me but I am unable to run WMP 10 in Windows 7. Is there a way to reinstall it on Windows 7? Can you suggest me some methods to get it back?

Re: Windows Media Player 10 and Windows 7

If you running Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate version then you can definitely have Windows Media Player 10 on your computer but if you have other editions like Home or Business then I don't think it would be possible. All you have to do is run WMP 10 in Windows XP compatibility mode. Otherwise its not possible because here is where Microsoft wants to upgrade its users.

I don't think it is even possible with Pro or Ultimate editions. WMP 10 is an older version to Windows 7 and you will not find an option to run Windows Media Player 10 to run in compatibility mode. It is better to forget it. But if playlist is the only your concern then I think you should be able to have those by copy pasting the playlist file from your older folder to newer Windows Media Player folder at the proper location.

It is possible to run Windows Media Player 10 on Windows 7. You just have to implement a tweak to do that. Here it is:

1. Remove Windows 7 Media Components by going to Control Panel, selecting Programs and Features. Select "Turn on and off Windows Components" and uncheck "Media features". Press "OK" button.
    2. Reboot your computer.
    3. Download and extract WMP10 installer from Microsoft (if you don't have the installer file)
    4. Look for .INF file in the folder (other than wmp10.inf), right click on the .INF file and select "Install".
    5. Now install wmp10.inf at last.
    6. Now reboot your computer once again.

Thank you Yitzchak909 for your post. It worked in my case. I was also having the same problem and I had tried a lot of things to fix this but none of them actually worked. At last I find your post and tried it. And to my surprise Windows Media Player 10 is running on my computer at last. Thanks once again.

Failed to install like that

Why Windows Media 11 or 12 not nice as 10 or 9

Many people like me have a huge library of songs, and WM9/10 was best for these features. It was so easy to mange songs and create a quick list for listening songs specially now playing list in which adding a removing was so easy.
    I used to fill details of the songs in ADVANCE EDITING TAG, (id3 tag) details like album art, title, artist, album, composer, lyrics writer, mood, group, genre (mostly were my own specified due to many languages titles) added synchronized scrolling lyrics, album artist (orchestra and band), label, year (IN ALL SONGS MENU COLUMN CAUSE THIS OPTION WAS NOT AVAILABLE) comments, language, and few column more for my references, these all helped even to manage library in Cell Phone and IPod easily. Means it was peace of mind but the new one mess up so much that one can’t enjoy the music library.

But in new windows media 12 these I can’t find even I tried 11 once before 2 years back and didn’t like that either and restored 9. But this time I got Win7 which only allows WM12 version or WM11, I found 1 link to install 10 but I failed to do so.

If someone can help me to install old version please tell me or if someone have better software which combines all the features of WM, iTunes, foobar etc, it will be highly appreciated.

I found many people feels same so spread the message all over the web so that anyone thinks the same will also join us and force them to include the things of old in new player, paste it in other forums too.

Hi haroonkhan, You can try to do the following to install Windows Media player 10 on Windows 7:

1) Go to "Programs and Features "Get a bird "Components for multimedia", thereby clear away all the media in the bowels of Windows 7 system.
    2 ) Restart
    3 ) Download and Uncompress WMP10 archiver in a folder
    4) Choose the folder in the files ***. inf (except wmp10.inf), then the PTP - install. When the message "This type of installation is not supported" click Ok, if you are asked for the restart refuse (launch files 2 times to make sure that)
    5) File wmp10.inf PTP - set (the analog of item 4)
    6 ) Restart
    And, voila, working! (ie, runs, plays, visualization works, after the collapse normally locked, not playing music on) Windows Media Player 10 in Windows 7 operating system hopefully starts to work.

I tried this and it did work for me, but another solution did occur to me: instal virtualbox (free! ) then run xp within win 7. yes this does raise a whole new keetle of fish, but it does solve all 'how can i run ________ in win7?' problems! at least it worked for me anyway!

hey guys, i have a stupid question: how exacly do i 'extract' when downloading WMP10? All i can click is 'run' after downloading it and then a message says this version can only be installed in Windows XP 32bit.
    I want WMP 10 back so bad. I still can't figure out how i can manage my humongous music library with version 12, which i've had for over a year now. (proves enough i'd say!)

To Unpack, I used "Universal Extractor" but WATCH OUT! I'm not 100% sure if it was this program that did it, but I installed something on that same day which added a malicious browser bar. The program worked as needed to unpack the Executable Installer, but I didn't keep "U.E." after I was done with it.

After that, I followed the directions found here, as well as some advanced steps after the .INF direct installation, provided by another website. These steps include:
    - Turn off Windows 7 Media Feature:
    -- Open Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> "Turn Windows features on or off"
    -- Wait for list to populate, then disable "Windows Media Player" from expanded "Media Features" item on list
    -- Hit "Ok"

- Disable Program Compatibility Assistant:
    -- Open command prompt from the Start menu (or press WIN+R).
    -- Enter gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    -- Navigate to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility. Then on the left side under "Setting" double click on "Turn off Compatibility Assistant".
    -- Click on "Enabled", then click the "Apply" button and the "OK" button.
    -- Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
    (NOTE! I have Home Edition of 7, and therefore don't have "gpedit.msc" . . . but I do have "service.msc" and direct access to the Registry, each of which provided the same option, though required other steps to complete.)

- Run registry editor like regedit and delete the following key:
    -- Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ MediaPlayer \ Setup

- Do everything in the "Safe mode" as administrator if you get compatibility problems.
    (NOTE! The traditional F8 no longer seems to work during boot-up, and I didn't have any luck with F5 or F12 either. However, you can now access Safe Mode by entering "msconfig" in Run. Boot Tab, "Safe boot" )

I followed all these steps, and was able to run the Windows Media Player Setup Executable without problem. However, I am still unabel to run the Media Player itself, and now receive a message stating that Windows Media Player 10 was not installed properly when I try to run the actual program Executable.
    I noticed that manually installing the .INF files populated my C: drive with numerous .DLLs, .CABs, and EULA.###.TXTs, as well as a few other misc files. Was this supposed to happen?
    Where are Windows Media Player 10's .INF files supposed to install to?
    Can anyone give more detailed instructions specifically for Windows 7 Home Edition, please?

Thanks for all the help listed so far. Good luck to everyone else trying to get decent software running on the new O/S!
    Next up for me: Outlook Express (my Google Search found nothing, but I don't want to hijack this thread. A private message with a link will suffice, thanks!)