Thread: Windows Network with Various Problems

Windows Network with Various Problems

I'm trying to debug a rather complex windows network. Not having much experience in networking at all, I feel like I'm grasping at straws. Here's my problem:

I have a server machine running Windows Server 2008 R2, which has 3 virtual machines going simultaneously. VM1 is running Windows Server 2008 Standard, and is the Domain Controller in charge of network users and permissions. It also used to be my DHCP, though I've since transferred that duty to my router (Netgear FVS318v3). VM1 may or may not also be the network DNS. VM2 and 3 are running 2008R2. VM3 is my Remote Desktop Controller, but the Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration only lists VM2.officenetwork.local as a specified license server.

The main problem I'm trying to fix is users not being able to connect consistently to the VMs. Normally, VM3 is the most problematic - it almost always allows authenticated users to view its shared files and even its entire directory when accessed via it's network IP. However, when accessed via it's Domain Name, it sometimes tells the user they don't have permission to view these files, even though I'm quite sure they do. This error seems to just go away eventually, only to return later. Just this morning, however, the problem reversed - I could access VM3 via it's name, but not its IP. When I tried, it told me there was no logon server to process the request. VM2 was having the same problem. Also, Remote Desktop-ing into VM3 intermittently gives the super-helpful error "Access is Denied", even though the user is properly authenticated. Again, none of these problems are consistent.

I realize this is complex, and probably tied to more than one configuration problem, but if anyone could give me an idea of where to start looking, or even point me to another thread that could be relevant, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Windows Network with Various Problems

Maybe something here could help you out, take a look at this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2249906