Thread: MS Project 2007 Resource Import from Excel

MS Project 2007 Resource Import from Excel

Does anyone have experience in Importing Resource Assignments from Excel to Project 2007? When I attempt the import, it never works --Resources seem to be randomly assigned to tasks, even tasks that I'm not assigning anything to. I am setting WBS up as the merge key (actually, I've tried many different merge keys as well including Task Unique ID, Resource Unique ID, Text1, etc.). The assignments never come in correctly. Can anybody provide some insight on how to successfully accomplish this import?

Re: MS Project 2007 Resource Import from Excel

Quote Originally Posted by ronberrype View Post
    Does anyone have experience in Importing Resource Assignments from Excel to Project 2007? When I attempt the import, it never works --Resources seem to be randomly assigned to tasks, even tasks that I'm not assigning anything to. I am setting WBS up as the merge key (actually, I've tried many different merge keys as well including Task Unique ID, Resource Unique ID, Text1, etc.). The assignments never come in correctly. Can anybody provide some insight on how to successfully accomplish this import?
    I would not attempt to create assignments by importing. Project must create the assignment ID when it creates assignments. Is there a reason why you are not creating the assignment in project? You cannot also merge assignments into project -- you have to create them. If you wish to alter assignment data after creating - export out from Project and then use the Assignment Unique ID to merge data back in.

Also, in the future, you may wish to post your questions regarding Microsoft Project directly to the project forum here at Techarena. See:

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/