Thread: How to draw in PDF with Acrobat Reader X using pen tool

How to draw in PDF with Acrobat Reader X using pen tool

I would request some expert person to please have a look at this thread and help me out with my doubts and queries.

I want to learn how can I draw in PDF using a pen tool in Acrobat Reader X. let me tell you, in javascript of textbox in acrobat pro 9 I am using app.execMenuItem ("Annots:Tool:InkMenuItem"). Now the thing is that when I click on the text box, I could able to sign in to the text box with a pen tool activated.

But when I try to click on the textbox, it actually does not works when I use in Acrobat Reader 10.1.2, I mean that the command app.execMenuItem("Annots:Tool:InkMenuItem"); is not getting executed. So is there any one who is expert with the command and coding?

Re: How to draw in PDF with Acrobat Reader X using pen tool

The first and the foremost thing I would like to tell you is that the code which you are trying to execute should probably not be able to work at Acrobat Reader Pro 9 until and unless you edit the registry and also add it to the menu item in the white list. Or else you should actually call it from a trusted function in the folder-level script.

Also the other question going around in my mind is that you are already using the “Execute a menu item” command then why exactly you need a Javascript code in order to perform the same thing.

For the textbox in actions,
    • For Select Action: I selected the Execute a Menu Item
    • Then I added up the JavaScript
    • Later on in JavaScript I added up the Code: app.execMenuItem("Annots:Tool:InkMenuItem");

Now the problem is that the above thing is working well and fair enough in Acrobat pro 9 and even with Acrobat Reader but it does give the error while doing the same thing in 10.1.2. I doubt that there is some other command in place of the one which I am mentioning.
    Also the other question going around in my mind is that you are already using the “Execute a menu item” command then why exactly you need a Javascript code in order to perform the same thing.
    Just because the “Execute a Menu item” is not functioning with other Adobe version I do need a javascript code.

Just because the “Execute a Menu item” is not functioning with other Adobe version I do need a javascript code.
    I would like to tell you that as according to my knowledge I think the command “Execute a Menu Item” is not working with the other version because these menu items do now no longer exist in those versions and due to this possibility if you try do the same with the JavaScript Code, it won’t work out.

You can also call a pen tool automatically through the JavaScript using the app.execMenuItem("Annots:Tool:InkMenuItem"). If you run that code once from the console window it would surely work.

But the issue is that the menu items can’t be ran from a non privileged context. There are supposed to be on the white list. If you check out in window the registry settings will be as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\8.0\FeatureLockDown\cDefaultExecMenuItems

If you are having a Mac system you will surely have this setting. But I am not sure with the creation of the batch file in order to modify the registry.

If you are having a Mac system you will surely have this setting. But I am not sure with the creation of the batch file in order to modify the registry.
    You need not have to worry about the batch file, for your knowledge let me tell you that you can definitely create it. I already did it once, I added the annotation for ink:menutool in registry and then created the batch file of it so that it could easily update the adobe registry, not just this I was a also able to place the registry in JavaScript code and the executed it.