Thread: Windows Installer broken? As well as other things?

Exclamation Windows Installer broken? As well as other things?

Ok, so I have Windows XP and Windows Update has not been able to install any updates. I received the error codes 641 and 80070641, and when I selected ‘get help with this error’ for both errors, they told me to use Microsoft Fix-It Center. I opened Fix-It and ran the ‘Windows Update’ option. It said the only issue found was 'Windows Update components must be repaired', so I clicked next, but it still isn't working. Not only this, but iTunes isn’t working either. I have been trying to update iTunes as well but it can't install the updates, so I was going to reinstall iTunes. I went to Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a Program and tried to uninstall iTunes, but I got a message saying 'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personal for assistance.' So I went to Google and typed in 'windows installer is not correctly installed' and this popped up first: I opened the link provided: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=8483 and was unsure of which to download so I downloaded all of them, and all but one was not formatted for my system, but the one formatted for my system did not work either! So I tried to reinstall the updates, and none of the updates were successful. Both stopped working simultaneously. I can't figure out what to do. Please help!

**I have an HP Pavillion dv2 and Norton 360. My computer isn't old or in bad condition and Norton hasn't found any viruses either.

Re: Windows Installer broken? As well as other things?

This issue may occur when both the following conditions are true:
    • You are using Windows XP in Normal mode.
    • The Windows Installer Service that is included with Windows XP is unregistered or damaged.

So try to see the fix for your problem from this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353

Re: Windows Installer broken? As well as other things?

Thanks so much! I actually found out that the support for my windows version ended and I needed Windows 7. Thanks!