Thread: BitLocker Panic - How to access protected data?

BitLocker Panic - How to access protected data?

I have a very big problem concerning BitLocker.

I had two partitions, C:\ (System) and D:\ (Data). Also I have a the Boot PIN and the two recovery keys for the partitions C: and D:.

Now, I don't know what really happened. I used a boot stick with Kaspersky Anti Virus Recovery for cleaning an external HDD (USB).

While that, my local Win7 was in suspend to disk mode.

The session could be restored normally and I worked a while. Than - after a Windows Crash - I had to reboot the system.

I entered the PIN, the Windows Start Logo appeared and harddisk was running a while, but then nothing else happened: Windows does not come up normally.

I tried to restart, Windows suggested the repair mode. But first I tried the "Abgesicherter Modus". So I entered the recovery key for C:. It also was accepted but also the "abgesicheter" mode stopped after a while without any error message.

So I tried the recovery mode. Now I also was asked for a recovery key, but the GUID/ID of this key does not match the C: key either the D: key.

Entering my key for partition C: results in a message, that D: could not be unlocked.

I looked at partdisk. The situation is the following:

there a four partitions:

1. 100 MB (startup)
    2. original C: (primary, hidden)
    3. extended (was not there before, not hidden)
    4. original D: (logical not hidden - before was: primary!)

Starting the system with F8 / F10 requires one of my keys and they work. but i can not access either C: nor D: and windows cannot start.

Trying to access the internal hdd via USB from another running Win7-Installation also requires a key with an GUID/ID that I do not know.

Does anyone has a suggestion how to access my data?

Re: BitLocker Panic - How to access protected data?

Bitlocker works on software level so there are chances to access the data via LiveCD. You can use Ubuntu for that. Create a bootable usb/cd with Ubuntu operating system. After booting with it, you can see the hard drive as mount partition. You can access and move your data from drive to another or any other external storage drive. Later on you can re-format your system completely and re-install fresh Windows.