Thread: Unable to open oald8 in QuickTime

Unable to open oald8 in QuickTime

I was using oxford advanced learner dictionary 8th edition long time before but recently I have a problem while opening it. I think that the problem was with my oald8. Then I reinstalled the oald8 but the issue was not solved. It says “oald8 quit unexpectedly" while opening and I have quicktime10.0. What are the things that I can do to open it?

Re: Unable to open oald8 in QuickTime

I think that there was problem caused while update to Adobe Flash Player. You can try these solution.
    1) First download Adobe Flash Player.
    2) Save to your desktop and double click to extract the content.
    3) There you will find two files (flashplayer.xpt and Flash Player.plugin).
    4) Right click on oald8.app in the finder.
    5) Then select “show package contents”
    6) Navigate to the directory Contents/MacOs/plugins .
    7) To this plug-in directory move these two files “Oald8_FlashPlayer10_Patch.zip" from archive.
    8) Delete ~/Library/Preferences/oald8 which is the user preference directory.
    9) Last and final restart your oald8.

I have problem with step 7. I was unable to move 2 file Flash.plugin and Flash.text to the Plugins.
    I don’t have an idea how to move these file from archive to login, please help?

1) See after you have selected the two file all you have to do is drag them to the login. You will drag them to login which you will navigate in step 6. i.e. Navigate to the directory Contents/MacOs/plugins .

I have done all the steps from 1 to 4 but have problem with the step 5. Step 5 says Delete ~/Library/Preferences/oald8 which is the user preference directory.

In finder, open a new window by clicking (File menu > New Finder Window). Then after select the “go to folder” option. Then there will be a text entry box pop up that will give the folder location. Go to this location (~/Library/Preferences) then you will find oald8 folder. Then delete this folder.

This problem may be occurring due to corrupted preference file. You can solve these problem see in the side bar of finder there select your home folder. After that open the library folder and then open the preference folder. In the preference folder see for the file com.oxfordadvancedlearner.plist or com.oald8.plist. Then move these file to the trash.