Thread: Adobe Flash Player 11 installer not working properly

Adobe Flash Player 11 installer not working properly

I am trying to update Adobe Flash Player in my system. I am using Windows Vista in my PC on which when I click on update, a download takes place. After the download is complete, a window prompting to install the downloaded content appears. Now when I install new Flash Player, an error message saying ‘update failed’ appears and cancels the installation. I tried rebooting my system but still nothing happens? Did anybody else experience this problem?

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11 installer not working properly

I was getting the same problem in my system. But I am using Windows XP SP3; in my system editing registry key helped me solve the problem. I can tell you the method but I won’t suggest you to try it in Windows Vista as they both are different OS. Find the registry key mentioned,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    In its properties if you find,
    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    Compatability Flags REG_DWORD 0x00000000

then delete this key. It worked for me and now the installation proceeds with no problem.

Did you download the update the Adobe Flash Player 11 from official Adobe website? Because many other websites are offering updates but they aren’t as good as the one available on Adobe’s website. If you have downloaded it from Adobe and still it is giving problems, then something must be blocking or interrupting the setup. You can kill the processes that you are not using from Task Manager.

In my case, Norton antivirus was interfering with the updating process of the Adobe Flash Player 11. I had to temporarily disable Norton Antivirus to let Adobe update Flash Player 11. If you are using some antivirus for security, try disabling it for some time. After installation is complete, enable the antivirus again. If you are using Norton then right click on the Norton’s logo in quick launch panel. Turn smart firewall off and also the auto protect. Under the miscellaneous settings, disable Norton Product Tamper Protection. In your browser, disable the following add-ons,
    • Norton Toolbar
    • Symantec NCO BHO
    • Symantec Intrusion Prevention (IPS)

Then try updating Flash Player, it will work fine.

I am using McAfee antivirus in my PC. I was having problem of update being interrupted. But I was getting a message saying ‘Flash10q.ocx is missing’. So I copied the file manually in the folder where it was going to be installed and the update was successful.

I am facing similar problem. After I click on update, nothing happens. But when I look in the processes tab of Task Manager, I see that multiple instances of SysWOW64 are working. These instances multiply and delete themselves many times. I thought that the updating process must be happening in background. So I ignored it. Later I visited Youtube to see if update has been successful or not, but update hasn't taken place. Later I asked my friend about it and he said that a visible window shows progress of update. I sent the details of my query to Adobe but still they haven’t replied.

I am using McAfee antivirus and was trying to update using internet Explorer 8. When the installer was downloading the files, McAfee would always show a message saying that the incoming files are suspicious and prompted me to block them or delete them. I was tired of retrying multiple times when my sister suggested me to use another browser. I tried updating it from Google Chrome and whole updating process was successful. I think the Flash Player update process doesn’t work well with Internet Explorer.

When I was updating Flash Player, I too was getting problem with update failures. On inspecting FlashInstall.log I found that the installer was failing to write any data in destination folder. I am using Windows 7, if anybody has problem in Windows 7 then I suggest you to delete,
    1] Flash folder under C:\Windows\system32\Macromed
    2] Macromed folder under C:\Windows\system32
    Then again try updating.

This type of problem is caused most of the times if you have a malware detecting software running in background. This happens because, as soon as the new files enter the system, malware tries to run the testing process on it. This causes conflicts between the setup and anti-malware software processing. This results in Flash Player updater to abort the ongoing processes.