Thread: LogMeIn Rescue is now used by SCAM artists

LogMeIn Rescue is now used by SCAM artists

Yesterday some SCAM artists contacted me and told me that my computer is having a serious problem and they will kindly offer a "fix" to the problem. I actually ignore those people but this time due to my curiosity, I lead them through 17 minutes just to see what they would fix. But nothing happened. They told me to click on some strange link but I terminated the conversation. Later I recognized that they are actually trying to link me with LogMeIn session. Nowadays these things are raising and scamming people in a different way. The law enforcement agency should find these criminals and take action against them.

Re: LogMeIn Rescue is now used by SCAM artists

First of all I will thank you for whatever information you have provided. I have been hearing about this issue but didn’t actually believe. You should collect information about their contact number, call time and date which will help federal agents to find criminals very easily. There is possibility to track them and ban their IDs.

I think that these people are fraudsters and they will tell that they are from an official company. I am aware about such kind of fake calls before. At first they will try to gain your confidence and make you to believe in them. After that they will start you asking personal questions one by one. You should answer such kind of phones. Official companies will not contact the customers without the prior notice or owner’s consent/ permission. You can file a complaint against such people.

I received a similar call yesterday and went along not thinking straight. I was eventually asked to go to secure.me not realising it was logmein allowing remote access. I did go as far as keying in the 6 digit pin but as soon as a connection was established I closed the chat box and hung up.

Now my question is whether my information has been compromised since I did not allow them to take control? I have disabled anything doing with lmi.exe on my firewall an disabled remote access.

Please help! Appreciate it..

Not really. When you are disconnected your connection is terminated and it did not provide any access to your data. LogMeIn is a secure tool which offers you good protection over remote desktop setup. You do not need to worry on the same. You can try hijackthis tool for this which will scan your system and generate a log file for the same. It will show all the running service in your system.

Thanks JustineBB, are you able to tell me more like what I should look out for when I run hijackthis?

I think that i can help you out here:
    • First just download the file and run the HijackThis.exe file and after reading the notification Click on OK to continue.
    • Now Click on "Do a system scan and save a log file button"
    • When the scanning process gets finished you will get the log file automatically.

Hope that helps.