Thread: Opening PDF file in Internet Explorer with Adobe Plug-in 10.1.2.X

Opening PDF file in Internet Explorer with Adobe Plug-in 10.1.2.X

I am a beginner at Web Designing. I am using JSP for developing web pages. In one of the web page I need to give link which will open the PDF file in new Window. I am using Internet Explorer 8 for testing. I can’t figure out how to do it, can somebody help me with it?

Re: Opening PDF file in Internet Explorer with Adobe Plug-in 10.1.2.X

I too was trying to achieve the same thing as you are trying to. I too used JSP for development and TomCat 6.0 for launching it. I was almost successful, after clicking the link; a JavaScript runs in the background and opens the pdf in a new window. But after I close the window and try to open it again, only a gray patch appears. I tried it with different browsers, but all the reasons were same.

It can be because of TomCat settings, when I tried the same thing happened, that is the pdf file doesn’t open the second time. After closing the window second time, another pdf document that I have inserted in <iframe> tag starts to be displayed. This problem occurred only whenever I displayed any other pdf file using <iframe> tag. I think I will use HTML for creating this part. Does anyone have a code ready, so that I can directly use it rather than building all over again from scratch?

<html>
    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    // <![CDATA[
    function showPDF(fileToShow) { window.open(fileToShow,'PDFWindow','toolbar=0,menubar=0,location=0,di rectories=0,status=0,resizable=0'); }
    // ]]>
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <b>Page 2</b><br /><br />
    <a onclick="showPDF('test.pdf');">[Open PDF in new window with JavaScipt]</a>
    </body>
    </html>
    This code worked for me, but since you are using TomCat 6.0, maybe you will need to make some modifications to execute it properly.

I think I can give you some suggestions that might help you overcome the problem.
    1) When you open the window second time, apply code for it to refresh in less than 1 second. The refresh trick has worked in some cases for me.
    2) Apply some code that will stop every other tab or application of browser from consuming resources till the pdf file is displayed for the second time. Once the pdf file is displayed, other activities can continue as before.