Thread: Unable to integrate Adobe Reader X with Mozilla Firefox

Unable to integrate Adobe Reader X with Mozilla Firefox

I was viewing a pdf document on a website using Mozilla Firefox browser. I could view it without any problem. But then I needed to download it on my system. I have integrated Adobe Reader X with Mozilla Firefox 3.6 in my system to provide direct download option for download of pdf documents. When I downloaded, it got saved in my PC normally, but when I tried opening it offline on my system, it failed to open. I tried downloading it again thinking that the download was interrupted the 1st time, but next time the option in toolbar of Firefox was disabled. Same problem occurs with other Browser. I tried Internet Explorer and Opera. Does anybody know what is happening?

Re: Unable to integrate Adobe Reader X with Mozilla Firefox

I too had experienced the same problem but in my case some tweaking in the options worked fine. You can try it too, maybe it will solve your problem. Close Mozilla Firefox and start Adobe Reader X. Go in the preferences of Adobe Reader X and find the Internet tab. There you will find an option by name ‘Display in Read Mode by default’, unchecked that option. Now go in the document settings. Once you reach there, you will find an option as ‘Allow documents to hide the menu bar, toolbar, and window controls’. See to it that it is unchecked. Not restart the Adobe Reader X and see if the problem is solved.

I had encountered similar problem once and worked on it to solve it. I found that the java modules that Firefox uses were creating the problem. When I would try to save a pdf document from the Mozilla Firefox using the Adobe toolbar’s ‘Save as’ button, the document would never get saved, but rather it would freeze my Mozilla Firefox and adobe reader. I later found out that I needed to enable JavaScript from the preferences. Also I checked the ‘Disable or replace context menus’ box in the advanced tab in the preferences.

Are you having this problem every pdf file or just the one that you are trying to download from the specific website. If pdf documents downloaded from any other website opens up fine and only the specific pdf document is giving problem, then there is no need to worry about problem in your system. Also some pdf files that are too large in size will give you problem when trying to open with drag drop method. So try opening it from File tab from Open option.

Sometimes this type of problem is caused because of missing dll file. Search for AcroPDF.dll at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll. If not present, then try re-installing Adobe Reader X.

The Adobe Reader integration with web browsers needs more than one plug-in to work. According to my knowledge, it requires Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave Player. I don’t think there is any problem with Adobe Flash player in your case. If there were any problem in Adobe Flash Player, many other functions of the browser would have not worked and browser itself would have made aware regarding the problem in it. So I think the problem lies in Adobe Shockwave Player. Try updating it. If it does not solve, uninstall and reinstall it.

Maybe your system is not capable of handling the launch of pdf document directly in Web Browser. An alternate method to this could be that you can set your browser to download pdf document instead of viewing as soon as one is detected. To do this, follow the steps,
    • Open Adobe Reader X.
    • Choose Preferences from the Edit menu.
    • Choose the Internet category.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in browser under Web Browser Options, and click OK.

This is useful for PCs that have low amount of RAM.

Have you installed any third party plug-ins? Many times I have noticed that one plug-in interferes with working of another plug-in. If you have installed any such plug-ins which you think might be creating obstructions in functioning of integration between Adobe reader X and Mozilla Firefox, then you need to find out. Uninstall every plug-in in Firefox. Install the most useful once first and then try saving the pdf document to see if the problem occurs. If any plug-in you find is creating the problem, then you should uninstall it.

I too faced this problem and tried various methods to solve it. But all of them failed. After researching I found out that the toolbar which is created on top of Mozilla Firefox was meant to work only with monitors with limited resolution. I have a monitor which has resolution of 1920 x 1080. But the toolbar was not designed to work with this resolution. So even though it displayed the buttons properly, the actual working placement was different. So if you are using a monitor with large resolution, then see to it that the toolbar is compatible it.