Thread: How can I do individual customization files or Registration by using App-V?

How can I do individual customization files or Registration by using App-V?

I need to have different kind of ini file for every single class room for Microtype. Files are getting show up into c:\program files at the time of layers are getting turned on. I was able to see drop into config.ini file into c:\program files\microtype from outside of layer and virtualized application is able to read them and it was reporting to correct server share. Everything installed in Q drive cannot be accessed by APP V. do you know anyway to inject ini file on Sft? Would it affect on my computer? I know that I can create 10 different packages which can be run on different class room but it seems to be tedious.
    I am having software which is called as Poser and it needs individual license file for every single machine. I have setup script in order to copy license.dta for every single machine by using %computername% at appropriate location of C drive which will allow you to completed install. However I am not able to do the same with AppV. We have already given streaming servers as well as management server because none of license are concurrent. I don’t wanted to use it in offline mode. right now I am wondering that version 5 will provide more option.

re: How can I do individual customization files or Registration by using App-V?

First of all you have to see that you have unchecked Enforce Security Descriptors on deployment-tab before you are supposed to save the package. you should take care of the thing that you are having correct. After that you should add pre-script to OSD which would copy file to application path into VFS.
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Dim objFSO

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\app.ini", "Q:\MYAPP123.001\ApplicationName\app.ini", True
    you should keep vbscript into virtual application so that users will not be able to edit the same and after that you have to add below mentioned lines into DEPENDENCY section of OSD
    Code:
    	<SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="0" TIMING="PRE">
    			<SCRIPTBODY>Q:\MYAPP123.001\CopyFile.vbs</SCRIPTBODY>
    		</SCRIPT>
    Once you have done the same you are going to have correct file into the virtual environment which you are supposed to use.

In this particular situation you have to create OSD file without having any kind of shortcuts. However you will require registry keys for shell integration. You should see that registry keys should be outside of virtual environment and you have to publish OSD file into startup folder of the users. Hence whenever user would log into the machine configures OSD would launch on your system and after launching shell keys are going to merged on the local box. You should also check and verify the results among admin and non admin users by means of different accounts.

As far as I know you will not be able to use OSD file without having any kind of shortcuts. So you will need to change "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe" from file name and you should have "/C" in PARAMETER tag into CODEBASE section of OSD File. If I am not wrong non admin users are not going to add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry key so you will be able to resolve your issue by simply adding HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes key. You can publish that particular file into the startup folder.

I have figured out why it is not working in my situation. it seems that it breaking isolation which has been provided by App-V virtualization. It is not as simple as detecting DLL files which are required by Explorer. In fact there are lots of software which you wanted to find out. You have to write stub DLL which can launch and you have to forward a call so that it can launch virtual app and it should be registered to stub.
    It is really nice thing that it is not get injected into Explorer process. There could be several why you are not able to run some kind of applications and you should not install the same locally.
    The reason why SVS is working because it does not provide isolation. So its totally different approach how product seems to working technically. The new version of SVS is providing optional isolation.

Re: How can I do individual customization files or Registration by using App-V?

This particular issue is associated with breaking of isolation. There are lots of features are lacking into the software and I am hoping that next version of software would resolve all the features . so far people used to ignore all limitation with software. virtualization product to be considered as time saver and it seems to provide larger market for. It results into better selling point and scope for application. I am not saying that breaking of isolation would be an easy thing to do and if they provide the same then admin would like to use them.