Thread: Cannot hear recorded audio in Audacity

Cannot hear recorded audio in Audacity

Recently I have got HYPE sound USB Portable Tape to MP3 converter. Today I decided to try it once but it didn’t work. When I start, an extremely complicated screen comes. I got this program from the mini disk. I am sure that it has lots of capabilities but I am not getting any sound from recording. When playing them back, nothing comes out from the speaker. I am pretty sure that Audacity recording something because the bars are moving and it does create a file. There is no support from Audacity yet. How to solve this?

Re: Cannot hear recorded audio in Audacity

I think that I can help it. As far as I know that the Audacity is not capable to record the audio files. The Audacity is meant for to record Audacity Projects only. In order to create an audio file which can be burned on CD in that case you have to export the recording as a WAV file. Anyway, have you downloaded the Audacity 1.3.13? It is now recommended. If you have earlier version, get this latest one and see what it contains.

If you are using the Windows OS, then I don’t think that you will get problem something like that. Even if you got one, it can be solved easily using the manuals and the troubleshooting guides. The Windows is configured record pretty straightforward. When any USB audio device is connected, Windows will automatically passes all sound to the USB device and it will automatically disables the sound card thus to avoid conflict.

To capture the sound of your own computer, simply download and run Audacity. Once we are in the program, and we have before the main window, select the sound source you want in the drop-down menu on the right. In this case, we would record the sound we hear from the speakers, that is, "what you hear," so select that option. Once checked the option, simply click the Record button (circle) of the superior interface to start recording the sound. When we wish to stop recording, will give the stop button (square) and export the result to mp3 or wav, as you want (File -> Export as MP3 ...).

In order to hear your own recording in Audacity, first of all Turn up the playback volume in the volume control panel and after that remove the the “mute” checkbox for your recording source. If you still cannot hear the sound, the go to Audacity preferences > “Audio I/O” section ("Devices" in Audacity Beta), turn on the “Software Playthrough” option.

You need to wait for recording to complete. Once finished, load that saved file using the command Project-> Import Audio ... Then select the track loaded, press the REW and then the PLAY button. If all goes well, you should hear the sound, while the screen scrolls the waveform. You can also try to move the mouse back and forth on the waveform, so as to get used to the correspondence between certain forms and certain sounds. Clicking on the small buttons + and - inside the lenses, you can enlarge or shrink your audio up to see every single detail or to view the entire interview.

You cannot hear the playback means you have not configured the "Playback Device" yet. Go the Audacity Preferences of USB sound device > Audio I/O tab> set the "Playback Device". After one more thing you should keep in mind that you are recording a blue waveform with peaks and troughs. You can see it on Audacity screen by explicitly choosing the Recording device. You should not choose the Microsoft Sound Mapper in either case. Also in the panel in the Windows system mixer, Wav slider should be turned up and mute box is not checked.

I was using the Audacity in Ubuntu and here I also got the same problem. For that I have tried the simplest of solutions first. Due to some cause some sound mixers or volume control applets do not work properly with your in/out channels. The might be muted but could not show in the first one, but possibly will be reported in the other.