Thread: How to record in Audacity using JACK and a USB recording device

How to record in Audacity using JACK and a USB recording device

Right now I am using a TASCAM US-100 which is connected to my Lenovo R500 laptop. I am using this device in order to record tunes from my guitar, bass, voice etc. using Audacity with different tracks. Recently I have changed to Ubuntu after getting several issues with Windows. The problem is I cannot record several tracks with standard ALSA device and driver. I can record one track but the other ones are blurry. For that reason I switched jack. It worked for the first time but then again the same. I am not adding any additional effects. How can I set it in Ubuntu?

Re: How to record in Audacity using JACK and a USB recording device

It seems to me that some setting still left behind in your computer. You have to do the following as I said:
    • First of all open the Jack Control and after that click on the Setup button.
    • Make sure that your input device or recording device must correspond with USB device.
    • Once the jack is powered up with the USB device as the input device, you should then launch the Audacity and set it as

• "Host: Jack"
    • Record and Playback: System.

Quote Originally Posted by Gania View Post
    It seems to me that some setting still left behind in your computer. You have to do the following as I said:
    • First of all open the Jack Control and after that click on the Setup button.
    • Make sure that your input device or recording device must correspond with USB device.
    • Once the jack is powered up with the USB device as the input device, you should then launch the Audacity and set it as

• "Host: Jack"
    • Record and Playback: System.

I know what you are trying to tell because that was the first thing I have done when I installed the QJackCtl it didn’t give much impression to the Jack. I don’t think that it is really easy to setup. As you said I have selected the USB device as input and output device. But whatever I do, I am still getting the sound from a speaker which is recorded from the internal mic.

Did you try any other Jack applications?

I am using the "Hydrogen" (drum machine). It is a very good test for Jack. You should run it and check it by yourself. I hope that it might work. It is capable to play out through the USB device.

First you need to properly connect to the computer's sound card the machine from which you want to record audio. For less experience, I recommend to refer to the manuals of both the computer (and / or sound card), to locate the audio input jack, you know the equipment for audio output. The latter may be the headphone jack or a dedicated line audio output (for example in the mixers and Hi-Fi amplifiers, tape decks, etc.). Before starting a new recording is good to check the settings of Audacity Preferences In particular, check the correct setting of the recording device, the number of channels and the quality of the sound samples:
    Edit > Preferences menu >Devices tab:
    1. make sure the Playback and Recording devices match the PC's sound card;
    2. Select the number of channels that will be used for registration, in most common situations: 1 (Mono) or 2 (Stereo).

I think that you have to go to the Audacity preferences > Audio I/O and set your device as the default device. This is configured for playback and recording and after that 1 mono input. Now you also need to check mark the boxes saying "play other tracks while recording newone" and "Software Playthrough". After all this whenever you record a new audio track, click on the dropdown menu and choose mono input.