Thread: Is it possible to join file with batch processing in Audacity

Is it possible to join file with batch processing in Audacity

Hey wanted to ask you a doubt, I have given a folder with full of individual files like say Track01.wav, Track02.wav, Track03.wav and many more. Now the thing is that I wanted to combine and join all these audio files automatically into a single audio file. I probably wanted to perform these things using a batch processing in audacity, which should however combine them all together into a single continous file.

I mean to say that each file that I am joining should be appended as a successive file at the end of the last pervious file. While trying out various R&Ds I ended up with multiple winamp files recorded directly from audacity from internet radio feed, I guess somehow I save it wrongly and now I can’t find the ones which are ending in _aup.

Re: Is it possible to join file with batch processing in Audacity

I would not agree with this idea. I think there is no such feature provided by audacity to combine the audio file in an automated fashion. In fact it would be quite shocking for me if I found any freeware application on web that could possibly do this thing. Even I always wanted to join multiple tracks to a single track file with the batch processing.

Right now the only idea I have and I follow is: Select All > Cut > Paste.

But I personally feel that this idea is very much boring and also time consuming, and I seriously feel that there could some of the other solution provided by audacity for doing such thing.

I mean to say that each file that I am joining should be appended as a successive file at the end of the last pervious file. While trying out various R&Ds I ended up with multiple winamp files recorded directly from audacity from internet radio feed, I guess somehow I save it wrongly and now I can’t find the ones which are ending in _aup.
    I think you have come up with something very much unusual and unrelated problem. Without even knowing the requirements or needs you have unknowing saved an Audacity project. You should probably use an Audacity to open that project and then use the file and then Export function to make a wave or mp3 or aiff file.

And if you do not want to edit this audacity project you could better delete the project just by deleting the PROJECT_NAME.aup file and the PROJECT_NAME_DATA folder.

I am not sure you I guess either SOX or MAX could probably do the required things. Actually I haven’t used either of them yet but as I am already aware of these things I could suggest you with this application based on your requirements.
    Let me tell you that in order to combine Multiple audio files and also to perform other procedures effectively you need to use the following combiner methods:
    • concatenate
    • mix
    • merge: E.g. two mono files to one stereo file
    • sequence: For playing multiple audio files/streams

Hey for your kind information let me tell you that there is an experimental plugin available for”append import”, which means importing file end to end. This plug in Nyquist, this version of plug in could however import at most 10 files one after the other or you can say end to end just in one single track. You must take care that you do not download one of the obsolete versions. If wanted a latest version download more safely then CLICK HERE.

I really appreciate your suggestion, I do really like Nyquist a lot but remember there also certain drawbacks of this version. Amongst those limitations the one of the biggest and the main one according to me is the RAM requirement on the machine with this plug in need to load all the files into Ram at the same time before importing.

Other limitations are:
    • Only supports Mono files
    • All files should have the same sample rate
    • At present supports only WAV files
    • System must have sufficient Ram in order to hold all of the files at the same time before they are written to the track
    • There is no error checking

But that’s not the real case with this plug-in, all the way it ultimately provides us with the best features and ends up fulfilling our requirements. One of the best one is that the specified directory is the Default import folder. Also the other location files will be imported at the same time only if they are typed with fully qualified address.

Take for example:
    Default folder - /home/user/Desktop/
    File 1 - test1.wav
    File 2 - /home/user/soundfiles/test2.wav
    Keeping this location, now the file1 i.e. test1.wave will be found from the default directory and test2.wave will be found from the defined directory just because its path is fully defined.

Well many people have an intention of having an option to import all the files in a single specific folder and fortunately the latest version of Append Import has this feature.

The Append Import will first look in the selected "Import Folder" for a text file filelist.txt. if it’s found it will however make an attempt to read each audio file that is listed in filelist.txt. The filelist.txt should possibly contain only the list of uncompressed audio files of type .WAV, .AIFF or .AU. And also the good thing is that the file extension .AIF is allowed. It also says that each and every file must be on a new line and also must be either A file in the 'Import Folder' or A fully qualified file name.

I am not sure you I guess either SOX or MAX could probably do the required things. Actually I haven’t used either of them yet but as I am already aware of these things I could suggest you with this application based on your requirements.
    I do agree with MAX. its an application that creates a high quality audio files with various different format. When you extract the audio file this application probably generates the audio at about 20 formats with both compressed and uncompressed formats including MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Apple Lossless.

If you really wanted to convert your audio from one format to another then you can use MAX that would read and then write audio files as explained above at almost all sample rates and also in most sample sizes. For most of the known and popular formats the artist and album metadata is somehow transferred between the old and new files. Using a cue sheet the MAX application can also split up single audio file into multiple tracks.