Thread: Quantizing beats in Audacity

Quantizing beats in Audacity

I have been using Audacity for many days now; I wanted to ask if quantizing is possible in Audacity. By quantizing I mean, that when I am playing any musical instrument, will Audacity match the beats in Audacity for me to process it later?

Re: Quantizing beats in Audacity

Quantizing is the process of mapping large set of input values to a smaller set of input values. It is a kind of Audio Signal Processing. It is used to acquire accuracy in obtaining values of beats. As it is applied on input values in large number and compared with input values smaller in number it is a one way process and cannot be reversed. The set of values that are needed quantizing can be very large. The data requires quantizing is often vector valued data. In other words, it is multi dimensioned data.

There is no option or function by name ‘Quantizing’ in Audacity. But according to your question, I can suggest you ‘Beat Finder’ which will capture and synchronize beats from the musical instrument you are playing. Audacity provides an option by name ‘Beat Finder’. It helps to find the BPM of each track you have or record. Once the BPM is found, you can use change speed & change Tempo to adjust the beats according to your need.

If you are not able to work on quantizing in Audacity, I suggest that you should try Mixmeister. This software is dedicatedly meant for accurate mixing of sounds. If used perfectly with perfect music resources, one can produce flawless music. It has the function of recording music from external device and then synchronizing the beats. You can edit and manipulate the beats according to your need.

I use Mixmeister, it provides more possibilities an option to refine the music than Audacity does. This software has not limited its use only till on-screen simulations and acquiring music directly from musical instruments. One can dynamically edit music in real time. It means while you are playing the music, you can tweak the curves of the audio signals and the peaks generated by audio signals. The software itself provides options to burn the music in CDs and DVDs. You can also stream the music on internet using this software.

If you need a more accurate beat identifier function, then Mixmeister provides an plug-in by name BPM Analyzer. It is programmed to run multiple passes over the acquired audio to recognize the beat of the song. The BPM analyzer allows user to,
    • Calculate extremely accurate BPM counts for any song
    • Drag and drop music files from Windows Explorer
    • Display and sort files by Title, Artist, or BPM
    • Update ID3 tags in your music files with exact BPM information
    • Easily print BPM reports for your entire music collection
    • Export BPM counts for use in other programs
    • Free to use and distribute for non-commercial purposes