Thread: Queries regarding improvements made in Sound Finder and Silence Finder function in Audacity

Queries regarding improvements made in Sound Finder and Silence Finder function in Audacity

I am regular user of Audacity. For many years I have been using Audacity 1.0. Recently I upgraded to Audacity 1.3. After the upgrade I am about to work on a project which needs me to use Sound Finder and Silence Finder more than other functions. I had used it in older version. But when I tried the one in newer version, I found difference in output and its use. Can someone tell me what changes and improvements have been made in these functions?

Re: Queries regarding improvements made in Sound Finder and Silence Finder function in Audacity

A new control has been added in new version by name ‘Ignore sounds shorter than [seconds]’. This option will help in ignoring sounds that are shorter than minimum duration to make it a part of silence. It can be used for removal of certain short duration sounds that are unwanted in the audio file. Unlike previous versions of Sound Finder, this new version doesn’t need to add label at the end of the track. So if working on small amount of audio clips, wasting time on labeling wouldn’t be necessary.

Re: Queries regarding improvements made in Sound Finder and Silence Finder function in Audacity

Silence Finder in the new version now adds an unchangeable ‘S’ Label. The labels created by Silence Finder cannot be ignored or eliminated. The labeling function of Silence Finder gives option to create custom text, minimum number of digits in label & begin numbering from options. Audacity prompts user to add silence finder from time to time t save the checkpoints at which it has to work on silence.

Another option that is new in silence finder is called ‘Allow silence between sounds less than (seconds)’. The purpose of this is to avoid and clear every silence that will come if editing audio files that contain speech or dialogue. Without this option, user had to manually protect the silence parts which would be present between caps of hands or pause between 2 words of speech.

In the new version, the silence detection method has been improved. Silence is detected on basis of peak amplitude which goes below the set threshold. Though it sounds simple method, crackles in sound can trigger false alarms. New types of labels have been introduced in Silence finder. Previous version had only point type label which would mark only the point where the silence began. In new version, region label is available which covers the whole silence region.

The ‘Allow Silence’ function in Silence Finder is an great addition in the software. This function can be used to find the unwanted silences while editing and cleaning sound. It does not generate labels. The minimum amount of silence that it can allow is of 0.01 seconds. This will eliminate the silence zones detected by silence finder which are of or less than the specified time.

The sound finder too has new features included in it like,
    1) Treat audio below this level as silence [-dB]
    2) Minimum duration of silence between sounds [seconds]
    3) Label starting point [seconds before sound starts]
    4) Label ending point [seconds after sound ends]
    5) Add a label at the end of the track? [No=0, Yes=1]