Thread: Exporting audio file in mp3 format with high bitrate using Audacity.

Exporting audio file in mp3 format with high bitrate using Audacity.

I am a new user of Audacity. I have many music files in wav format. I want to edit & convert them to mp3 format as it requires less storage space as compared to wav files. For this purpose I am using Audacity. The wav files are in 128 bit format. When I convert them into mp3 format of 320 bit, it saves in 128 bit format automatically. Why does it happen? Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Exporting audio file in mp3 format with high bitrate using Audacity.

By converting an audio file in mp3 format adds compression damage to the file. This quality damage cannot be averted or reverted once done. It you are saving an audio file which was of 128 bit to 320 bit format, it won’t make any difference. It will only increase the size of file. If you are converting a 128 bit audio file in format with less bit rate then difference will occur which is audible.

The action that you want to perform I Audacity is bit difficult to perform. For the same purpose, you can try Mp3splt. This software is meant to deal with the mp3 file format only. You can change the bitrate using this software to create a new np3 file of different bitrate. This software even dos less compression damage as compared to that in Audacity. I suggest you to use this software for increasing the original bitrate of audio file when converting it into mp3 format.

To achieve a audio file in mp3 format with bitrate more than original file, you need to save the file using advanced settings. In advanced settings of saving options of a file, set transfer rate at 44100 in 16-bit stereo mode. If your file has gone through heavy editing and has been edited using heavy effects then you can set transfer rate at 44100 in 32 bit Floating Stereo. This method might fail for some files. But helped me most of the times.

You can also try achieving your objective using Mp3DirectCut. You can add effects and editing in your wav file. After you have finalized the content of the file, save it in lossless format like wav. Import the wav file in Mp3DirectCut. You can now save it in mp3 format with bitrate of your choice. It won’t damage the file during compression.