Thread: Audacity 1.3.12 hangs and then crashes

Audacity 1.3.12 hangs and then crashes

I am having a Macbook pro core 2 2.4 with 4GB RAM and OS X 10.6.5 running onto it. now as mentioned in the title, I am facing the issue with the newly installed Audacity 1.3.12. the issue is that after when I double click on the application it actually bounces for some 30 to 40 seconds in the docs and then later on it quit suddenly. It don’t even get as far as opening in the info bar at the top of the desktop.

Till now I have tried all the possible ways, one of them is moving all the library plugins to the trash before opening. Anyone who is facing the same issue with their audacity software?

Re: Audacity 1.3.12 hangs and then crashes

Can you let me know whether you have installed the fresh copy of audacity or you have upgraded from the older version like audacity 1.2.5.

The reason behind asking such question is that even I had the same issue with the audacity 1.3.12. whenever I use to open audacity, it use to suddenly hangs and then later on after few seconds it use to get crash. This thing continued till next few days. But then I was suggested to uninstall the audacity completely and then again reinstall it. and when I did so everything worked properly. I now do open up properly without any issue and works with a duet but amongst all of my AU plugins only the ones work. If I try to use other they somehow crash the program immediately.

Let me tell you that audacity come up with lots of built-in plugins including the apple ones. If you have installed the third party plugins then definitely it’s those third party plugins which are creating the issue because most of the time whenever there is any error or issue with the plugins then surely it’s the third party plugins that mess up everthing.

Just make sure that you didn’t install any such plugins. Also I would like to tell you that audacity does not come or get along with all the foreign plugins. If in case you find that one or more than one plugins that are crashing the audacity 1.3.12 then better you stop using one or the other.

Most of the time during this suitation we go on looking out for corrupt prefs files. You can try out the following things:
    • Go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/
    • Delete the "plugins.cfg" file
    • Open "audacity.cfg" in TextEdit
    • Delete all except "NewPrefsInitialized=1"
    • Save the changes without changing the extension

Now start the Audacity without using any extra plugins in the system and user locations.

Now if Audacity is working fine just,
    • Go to Audacity
    • Preferences
    • Effects section
    • uncheck "VST" under "Enable effects"

Now quit Audacity, and start putting AU effects back into the user or the system locations one after the other by starting Audacity each time

If you really do not want the AU and VST effects in:
    Follow everything exactly as mentioned in the above post, after you do so if the Audacity starts fine, follow the complete steps till “Effect Section”. Once you come till there you need to then uncheck “VST” and “Audio units” under enable effects and then click OK. And after doing so just quit Audacity.

Hey sorry friend but I can’t find the Audacity folder at all, I checked it in the /Library/Application Support/!, I am not sure but I think it is because the CleanApp has probably removed it on the last uninstall. Now I am not getting why exactly its not making a new one on reinstallation or startup.

I was however told that the audacity folder could be probably be found in the <yourhome>/Library/Application Support/ but then when I opened the path, it’s still didn’t find the folder over there too.

Use the latest version of Snow Leopard on a 8 core. I too have the same issue. But when I researched about the issue, I found that the crashes were due to the size of the plugin library. Let me tell you that I have already tried installing the package of almost all plugins and from then it did not worked at all.

Also once I tried scanning method but that too resulted in crashing completely after selecting the wave plugins folder. I am completely unaware of how can I start the audacity with using a plugin, it’s quite complicated. Once when I removed all the audacity programs, from then it started crashing too hard. What I did was moved all the VST and AU plugins and then installed Audacity.

Do as mentioned below:
    • Go to <yourhome>/Library/Application Support/audacity
    • Click "audacity.cfg" file and make a copy
    • After that open the original copy and then replace the total content with the following code:

Code:
    NewPrefsInitialized=1
    [AudioUnits]
    Enable=0
    GUI=0
    [Ladspa]
    Enable=0
    [Nyquist]
    Enable=0
    [VAMP]
    Enable=0
    [VST]
    Enable=0
    GUI=0
    Rescan=0
    • Save everything and also make sure that “.txt” is not opened by TextEdit at the end.