Thread: Behringer UFO-202 records mono instead of stereo in Audacity

Behringer UFO-202 records mono instead of stereo in Audacity

I recently purchased Behringer UFO-202 for converting all my old vinyl records into digital format. I connected it to my PC. I wanted to record it using Audacity. I tried recording music using it in stereo format, but when I played the recorded music, it played in 2 mono tracks. What is the problem with my system, can anybody explain me?

Re: Behringer UFO-202 records mono instead of stereo in Audacity

Many times the turntable is not detected by Windows Vista and 7 when ‘USB Audio Codec’ is selected as ‘Recording Device’ on the Audio I/O tab of Preferences. Try using ‘Microsoft Sound Mapper’ in preferences instead of ‘USB Audio Codec’ from Windows Control Panel. To access these options, right click on the speaker icon in the System Tray. From there go in Recording Devices.

Another reason for this problem to occur, is that the sound drivers in your PC must not be updated to the latest version. It can also be due to incompatibility of existing drivers with Turntable. You can try updating drivers and then again try if it works properly.

External USB devices such as turntables; usually default to mono mode when connected in Windows Vista & 7. Due to this, when you record a stereo LP in stereo Audacity track, only one channel of LP will be transferred. To avoid the emptiness of other channel, the same track will be duplicated in both channels.
    1) In Audacity, go in preferences. There go in Audio I/O settings. Select ‘USB Audio Codec’ in the ‘Recording Device’ in the list and choose ‘2(Stereo)’.
    2) Right Click over USB audio codec and get into its properties.
    3) In the Advanced Tab, go in the default format section.
    4) There set the default format as ‘2 channel 16 bit 44100 Hz’.
    5) If after recording sound in Audacity, you find the sound loud or distorted, move the slider for sound in level tab to the left.

Sometimes even though Audacity shows that it is capturing stereo sound, it actually is capturing Mono sounds. To test if the stereo recording is working properly, you can do a test. Record music from your USB turntable in Audacity. After the music is captured, render the music in .wav format. Import the .wav file in Audacity again. This time if it is in Mono mode, it will show it in format.

The Behringer USB turntable when used with RCS cables for connection between inputs and outputs are detected by Windows Vista & 7 as ‘Microphone USB audio codec’. It is shown in similar way in preferences, in recording devices section. This is why audio is detected in mono mode even though settings are meant for stereo mode.