Thread: Question regarding the equipment required to record voice for processing in Audacity

Question regarding the equipment required to record voice for processing in Audacity

I am a sound engineer and will soon start to work on Audacity. Actually the company for which I work has changed to audacity for its next few projects. So I wanted to know is that which equipments are best to record sound which later will be processed in audacity. I want to it so that I can request them from the office to be setup for my comfort. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Question regarding the equipment required to record voice for processing in Audacity

You can ask for USB Headset. It can prove as one of the cheapest equipment for voice recording and will also be convenient for basic recording. Any headphone will be good for recording general sounds, but if you are need for a professional studio sort of sounds, then I won’t recommend it for major professional use. The capsule that captures sound should be placed along the side of the mouth for best result. If placed in front it might capture breathing and other useless sounds along with useful sounds. Placing it on side of mouth, it won’t be disturbed by exhaling of air from mouth and nose.

Re: Question regarding the equipment required to record voice for processing in Audacity

You can also use a USB Microphone. I use Behringer C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone and it has never disappointed me. To enhance its performance, you can use it with pop-shield. But it has some drawbacks. It can’t used in large distance as the wire connecting it to computer is generally short. You can’t use 2 microphones on same computer. You will need to switch between 2 recording devices if need persists. You won’t be able to record less audible sounds on normal microphones. You will need to buy an expensive one for that purpose.

If you have a big budget or your organization has expensive equipments, then I’ll suggest you opt for conventional microphone and USB pre-amp. It has many advantages. You can switch between recording devices without having to reset the connection with computer or to have multiple computers. It can easily capture low audible sounds. Some pre-amps allow multiple recording devices to operate simultaneously. They generally come with longer connection cords.

If you are working for music recording studio, then I suggest you get a mixing desk along with good microphone. To get good output in Audacity, I suggest you also get a good sound card. This can be said to be one of the best combination as mixing desk supports multiple recording devices. A good sound card will help to enhance the sound quality while processing. I suggest that never connect mixing desk directly into computer. Check the compatibility, seek professional help and then connect it.

If your working conditions demand you to be on outings for getting sounds, then I suggest you buy a portable recording device. It is expensive than microphones but you can carry it around with you. It has a good inbuilt memory to store sounds. You should not confuse a portable recording device with ‘dictation’ devices. Dictation devices are good to record vocals but not good for recording music.