Thread: Queries regarding creation of static noise by radio or Walkie Talkie in Audacity

Queries regarding creation of static noise by radio or Walkie Talkie in Audacity

I am working on a project which has many pieces of short dialogues. They are normal dialogues recorded on mic. I need to convert them in sound that is generated over radio. Basically I need to add static sound to it, so that it gives effect like weak network on radio or walkie talkie. Has anyone created this before? Can someone help me with it?

Re: Queries regarding creation of static noise by radio or Walkie Talkie in Audacity

I once tried to get this effect and I was somewhat successful. I talked the specified lines by keeping my mouth very close the mic. Then I compressed the recorded sound and applied the ‘Telephone’ filter over it. Try tuning the values of attributes of ‘Telephone’ filter till you get the desired result. You can also add sounds like hiss, trash or clanging of metal to add the effect. But see to it that you don’t add too much of extra noise at it will overshadow your dialogues. After this apply high pass filter with value set at 300 Hz and a low pass filter with value set to 3000 Hz. Apply leveler after this. You can apply more than one leveler to get desired sound.

Re: Queries regarding creation of static noise by radio or Walkie Talkie in Audacity

I made the sound of static of radio once. I higher the level of amplitude by 20 db and then lowered it same amplitude. Then I applied High pass filter with value set at 5000 Hz. This gave a good result. To enhance the sound I chopped the first part of audio and added the static sound of radio. Adding mic pop at the start gives good realistic effect. Finally I added a minute amount of white noise.

Another method to do this can also be used. Apply bandpass filter over the recorded sound. Set the value between 800 to 5000 Hz. Add resonances on ends of the audio file. The value of the resonance should be around 4 db. Now use Bit-crusher effect with value set to 6-bit. You can also use distortion with flat slope on right of the graph. Add a layer of white noise with low intensity. Put random noises in background to eliminate the effect of being in empty room. Using equalizer, manipulate the resulting sound till you get desired effect.