Thread: Cannot install Netgear ProSafe VPN client 10.8 on Windows Vista 64 bit

Cannot install Netgear ProSafe VPN client 10.8 on Windows Vista 64 bit

Right now I own a HP Compaq Notebook 6910p which is running Windows vista 64bit. In that I want to install Prosafe VPN-client version 10.8. I don’t whether it is incompatibility or an issue, it simply refuses the installation. I don’t see any error. When I launch the installation, it starts normally but then it aborts. My notebook is connected to Wireless LAN.

Re: Cannot install Netgear ProSafe VPN client 10.8 on Windows Vista 64 bit

As of version 10.8, Microsoft Windows Vista support in the 32-bit version. If you have Windows 7 - use (32 and 64-bit) or 64-bit version of Vista, we recommend the NCP Secure Entry Client. Make sure that you have not installed any other VPN clients on your computer (such as Cisco, Nortel, etc.). It may take up to a very few exceptions, only one VPN software installed on a computer. Furthermore Make sure that is installed on the computer has no "Network Manager" software. These attempts typically without DHCP for network configuration automatically adjust to the current network and will be installed primarily on some notebook manufacturers in the delivery. This software connects with most cases in the Network Control Panel in Windows and disrupts the function of the VPN client. Uninstall the Network Manager and restart the computer.

The Netgear ProSafe VPN client is often delivered in an older version (version 10.1 from 2003). These old versions, it may happen that they cannot be installed or operated incorrectly (including the virtual adapter cannot be created). We recommend always installing the latest version from the start. If you have finally received an older version, you can switch from Netgear support with the serial number to request a current version. Call Netgear support to the German experience, and you get easily and promptly sent a new version by email.

Often customers reported that it may come with certain versions of Trend Micro products and ZoneAlarm compatibility issues. These are manifested in the fact that when you connect the virtual adapter which cannot be created. So in this case you need to use another client firewall product or try a different VPN client, such as the NCP Secure Entry Client.

AS far as I know that the latest version which you are talking about (I think SoftRemote version 10.8.3B6) can only works with Window vista 32-bit. I heard that soon there will be another version which might gonna support window Vista 64-bit.

In my case apparently the problem has to do primarily with the allocation of the IP of the virtual adapter. I have completely uninstalled the client ever and again installed as admin in safe mode network (in a different directory). Unfortunately results are the same. I can twist and turn as I will, the virtual adapter gets assigned an IP and therefore I'm not "right" to enter the VPN (no ping possible - either on routers, servers or RDP target machine).

You said that you have uninstalled the client completely but didn’t clean up the registry entries, temp files and folders and source folder? Yes, even after uninstalling the VPN client, there are few entries left along which should be clear out manually. Otherwise the new installation will think that there is already an older version installed on your computer. Also as said before no other network manager installed on your computer.