Thread: How to recover USB drive using Recuva

How to recover USB drive using Recuva

Currently I have a ScanDisk USB drive which I have been using from the past few months and it is working fine. Yesterday I connected it my laptop but it shows me an error message saying that the drive was not formatted. Do you think that I need to format the drive? For that reason I did a small search for recovering data and at that time I got Recuva as highly recommended. I downloaded it and installed it in my laptop. When I ran it, It says "Unable to read boot sector". How can I recover my data from USB now?

Re: How to recover USB drive using Recuva

The tool is capable to restore deleted files of any type like a text file, an Excel document, images, music or even videos. And on any media: HDD, Memory Card, USB Stick etc. .. When you delete a file or files on your computer, Windows marks the location of these files as free space. This means that whenever you add files to your HDD, it will fill in the fields marked as free space. This is also why a freshly erased file is very easy to find. The application manages scores of FAT and NTFS so all you need for Windows

I assume that you could have Sandisk Cruzer which may contain U3 software. I don’t say that you can repair the drive using that software and I don’t know if it will make any difference. You to fix the a corrupt bootsector with "TestDisk".

Recuva is a tool to recover deleted files for Windows, so the files already deleted from your Recycle Bin. The tool has just been updated to better support the SP1 of Windows 7 and improves recovery of files from USB media.
    If this program didn’t work for then you can try an alternative. There's "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.0" (Free) which may also be able to check and fix the file system on your USB, although I don't have personal experience of working on a flash drive with it.

The first step will download Recuva and install
    • Open the program will proceed in the first Recuva Wizard window
    • In the second window "File Type" shows a list to see what kind of file we are trying to recover.
    • Now we have the type of file to retrieve get to choose where to locate the program has various options such as "Across the computer in the removable memory, in my documents, recycle bin, and in a location specific ".
    • And before you start recovering files leaves you the option to "Enable Deep Scan" which is to seek the maximum. I recommend you turn it on!
    • You will find files. Select the file which you want and click on retrieve.

If you want to retrieve a recently deleted file, it is recommended to first select the "quick scan" and if no favorable results it can be passed to the "deep analysis" which will take longer, but at the while ensuring a greater probability of finding the desired file.

The likelihood of a recovery process is very large then it may fails when it tries several files at once from the same drive to reactivate. Since we want to restore a file, we can proceed safely and confirm with Yes. After recovery, you will receive a confirmation of the process; you can click OK to get away with this.