Thread: Defraggler 2.07 detects the traditional laptop'sHD as SSD

Defraggler 2.07 detects the traditional laptop'sHD as SSD

From last two days I have noticed that my laptop is showing some unusual behavior, actually the issue is that my traditional laptop’s HD is detected as a SSD disc which I think is wrong. This all started after when I installed the latest new version of defraggler i.e. 2.07. Initially I thought that the issue is with my laptop but then when I tried the same version in different laptop brands with different OS running in it, still the HD was detected as SSD. Can anyone tell me what could be the issue?

Re: Defraggler 2.07 detects the traditional laptop'sHD as SSD

I have a the older version 2.06.328 which is working quite well without any issue till now, that’s the reason I have not downloaded the latest version 2.07 till now, but surely now I would never go for this latest version after what I have read in this thread.

Anyways can anyone give me an idea or a small explanation of what exactly would happen if I have my traditional HD defragged as an SSD when I run the new version, I mean will that cause any damage or problem?

Even I would like to add myself to the list of those computers who are facing the issue of wrong SSD detection. I am running windows XP 64 bit on my system, I actually built my system by my own self.

AMD Phenom II, with 8 GB of RAM and about 5 TB of hard drive storage. Let me tell you that I have 2 TB of hard drive which is actually detected very much normally. Now the thing is that the Defraggler don’t know how misidentifies 4 internal drive as SSD, let me tell you that those drives are normal Seagate 500 GB each. But I am not sure whether this issue is due to this latest version or something else as I have never tried the older version of the defraggler till now.

Anyways can anyone give me an idea or a small explanation of what exactly would happen if I have my traditional HD defragged as an SSD when I run the new version, I mean will that cause any damage or problem?
    First of all let me tell you that there is no such big difference in the process for defragmenting a drive, no matter whether it be a HD or SSD. There are few people who says that defragmenting SSD or USB pen drive or such USB memory devices can sometimes lead to a short term lifespan on those drives because they just withstand certain number of write operation before kicking the bucket.

That’s the reason defragmentation those devices wont be recommended. I would better suggest all the people to wait and not to download the latest version until the problem is resolved as there are huge numbers of reports with the same issue.

After hearing that the defraggler is unable to properly distinguish between normal HD and SSD drives even in traditional laptops, then definitely I would be staying neither with the latest version nor with any other version. The defragging process would itself be unrelated to the drive ID, but here the case is different. These are something which is very much wrong with the defraggler. Don’t know whether what kind of drive is being defragged if the algorithms are established as acceptable. I am not sure whether how can the algorithms will able to carry out the complicated work on these same drives.

It’s very much annoying and disguisting to hear that the issue is with the normal released version and not with the trial version. I guess everyone know that this problematic version is not a Beta version, but the most funny thing is that its behaving like an Alpha version. The only thing I would say is that Piriform is somehow trying to damage their own reputation and along side they are also trying to lose their own retained cutomers.

I guess now they have split the product into the paid version and a free version. I would better not use or even try to use any version of Defraggler on my system, even if I was a genuine customer. For me my drives and their stored contents are more important than being Piriform’s customer. Right now I am continuing with the Ccleaner for the current time being but on the same side I am also being very much careful with the things.

I have bought a new DELL Inspiron N5010 and its configuration goes like this:
    • WIndows 7 64bit Home Premium
    • Earlier: defraggler 2.01.239
    • Now: Defraggler 2.07
    • HDD ST9750420AS, 750GB, 100MB r/w
    • Chipset : Intel Mobile Chipset HM57

If you still didn’t notice then let me tell you that when I bought the laptop I installed Defraggler 2.01.239 which showed me the same error as mentioned above and now when I installed the latest version 2.07 the same issue still existing in the laptop. After reading this thread what came to my notice was that almost all the people are reporting about the issue but only with this latest version where as I am getting the issue with both the latest and the older version. I doubt whether its really the defraggler creating the issue or my laptop.

I guess now they have split the product into the paid version and a free version. I would better not use or even try to use any version of Defraggler on my system, even if I was a genuine customer. For me my drives and their stored contents are more important than being Piriform’s customer. Right now I am continuing with the Ccleaner for the current time being but on the same side I am also being very much careful with the things.
    For your kind information let me tell you that Defraggler is always for free. I think you have never read their download page carefully. The paid version is only buying the priority tech support. It’s actually $24.95 priority support for home users, $39.95 priority support for business users.
    In short I would like to say that you are supposed to pay for the support and not for the product.