Thread: Piriform Defraggler must have "Move PageFile to beginning of disk" feature

Piriform Defraggler must have "Move PageFile to beginning of disk" feature

I hope you people must have understood everything from the title itself. Actually I still remember that there was an old Norton defragger that used to have this pagefile moving option. I would seriously love to have this option available on this defragged. Somehow the page files should be able to move to the fastest part of the drive.

Would like to know about your views and opinions regarding the same?

Re: Piriform Defraggler must have "Move PageFile to beginning of disk" feature

Yeah even I would agree with your option. Now a days even I have found that the pagefile are one of the slowest access part of the I/O. also the amount of RAM present in computers paging files very much least accessed.

No matter whether it going to be possible or not but your thought definitely makes bit sense.

If it’s a fixed size then the issue of where exactly to put the page files will be OK, no matter whether it is to be put at the beginning, the middle or at the end of the drive partition. There are two issues to be resolved.

The windows OS somehow allows the user to change the page file size manually. More than that the page file size on the disk is chosen to be double of the maximum amount of memory that is currently installed in the system, but anyhow it is limited by the amount of disk storage that is available.

I am not sure whether how much it would be beneficial to move to the beginning of the disk as the windows itself can move it. In my system the defraggler moves the page files at the end of the drive. Just because I sometimes use a Bart PE boot CD to delete and defrag the pagefile and then boot into the normal windows which will then atleast place it at the end of the drive. That’s the place where it will actually reside far enough just not to get defragmented and so on.

No matter what people think about this feature but I would definitely love to have this option. But I would also not deny that there will be certain pros and cons if this thing comes in picture. People who are always stuck to their laptops and have limited with the amount of RAM utility should definitely find this option advantageous especially during the time of crash as it will use pagefile. Move over to this if you are stuck with the slow HDD and if you are forced to use the pagefile then this option is more and more positive and beneficial for you.

As explained above there are cases which will make this thing not work fully but I personally feels that they are exceptions and cant be handled, but again that do not means that this option is useless are cant be proved beneficial.

I guess even if the pagefile grows after the restart it will be reduced to its default value which will definitely remain defragged at the beginning of the HDD. Let me tell you one more thing, not just this feature but also I would love to add one more option that would add other files and folders in a specific order at the start or the end of the disk.

Whenever the hard disk has a sector failure then definitely it could be few of the bad sectors that are in the beginning, middle or at the end of the drive.
    Let me tell you that in this case the HDD would remap a good sector and therefore the drive head would somehow have to jump to the good sector and then will have to get back to where the other ones are to continue its paging operations. I would really like the MFT and the pagefile to reside together but then one must however considered the other factor mentioned above.

To be frank according to me I don’t see any issue with the idea of pagefile, in fact I would really appreciate the idea. If the defraggler would place the files in this order then there would be no issue:
    • C:\Windows -> Fastest part of drive - Windows has the majority of the system files. Placing it at the fastest part just makes sense.
    • Paging + Hibernate -> Right behind C:\Windows - Adding paging and hibernate next makes sense, as you want a computer to respond and wake as fast as possible
    • C:\Program Files -> Right behind Paging + Hibernate - Program files have the next most system files
    • C:\Users & Documents & Settings -> Right behind C:\Program Files - Users has the least system files, & more user files
    • All other user files -> Right behind Users & Documents & Settings - Various other user files should be last, as well, user files just are not important enough to be at the fastest part of the drive, where they will only fragment themselves between system files & cause slowdowns.