Thread: Does using CCleaner's "wipe free space" have any impact on running Defraggler?

Does using CCleaner's "wipe free space" have any impact on running Defraggler?

Just have a simple question, can anyone tell me whether using a Ccleaner’s “wipe free space” on my windows XP system will anyhow effect running Defraggler in order to optimize my drive.
    Also can any tell me what is the exact relationship between Defraggler Advanced 'Defrag Free Space' and CCleaner Wipe Free Space option?

Re: Does using CCleaner's "wipe free space" have any impact on running Defraggler?

According to my experience I guess defragging the “defragging free space” and “wipe free space” may not have any impact on each other. I generally defrag the files whenever the list gets too long and also wipes the free space whenever Recuva shows number of files. In fact even if the disk maintenance is neglected for many weeks the pc still runs fine.

I still feel that answering your own questions is up to you. Its only you who can answer it by experimenting and deciding what’s best for you, I guess you will see something conspicuous.

Re: Does using CCleaner's "wipe free space" have any impact on running Defraggler?

Actually by defragmenting the free space on the hard drive you can improve the windows performance especially while writing the files, not just this but also you will help preventing new files from being fragmenting. If you just defrag the whole space the defraggler will just fill up the free space chunks only with the whole files, and if you select Defrag Free space the Defraggler will use file fragments to fill up free space. Not just this, while the defraggler is defragmenting free space you can also tell the defraggler not to move the large files around. If you really want to defragment your free space just choose Defrag Free space i.e. Allow fragmentation and if you want to reduce the amount of fragmentation in your current file, choose Defrag Free Space.

In order to defragment the free space on your hard drive you need to remember these three steps:

• In the Drive section at the top of the Defraggler window, right-click the drive to defragment
    • And then click Advanced.
    • Click Defrag Freespace or Defrag Freespace (Allow fragmentation).

I have noticed one thing whenever I try to use the Defraggler to Defragment the free space, I can see the option of leaving the large files untouched while using it. But I am still unaware of the reason why it actually gives us that option. Does it really moves the file if I uncheck or do not select that option? And also please let me know the exact steps in preventing the large files from being moved during the free space fragmentation.

Usually the Defraggler uses number in the minimum file size box in order to determine which file it has to leave alone during the free space defrag. If you want to prevent your files from being moved during the free space defragmentation, you need to:

• In Defraggler, click Settings, and then click Options.
    • On the Options dialog box, click the Defrag tab.
    • Be sure the Move large files to the end of drive during whole drive defrag is selected.
    • Select do not move 'Large Files' during Defrag Freespace.

I have noticed one thing whenever I try to use the Defraggler to Defragment the free space, I can see the option of leaving the large files untouched while using it. But I am still unaware of the reason why it actually gives us that option. Does it really moves the file if I uncheck or do not select that option? And also please let me know the exact steps in preventing the large files from being moved during the free space fragmentation.
    The reason is very much simple, whenever you try to defrag the free space on your drive using the defraggler, it defragments as said in order to optimize the free space but sometimes it ends up moving the large files around in the process. And if you have used the Defraggler before this to optimize the drive by setting it to move the large files at the end, maybe your optimization will be incomplete and undone.

The only solution is to simple let the Defraggler known whether you want to move the large files during the free space defragmentation.

Just have a simple question, can anyone tell me whether using a Ccleaner’s “wipe free space” on my windows XP system will anyhow effect running Defraggler in order to optimize my drive.
    Even I don’t think it should have any impact; as I guess the wipe free space will definitely overwrite the free space so that the data is unrecoverable by using Shft+Del or deleting through the Recycle Bin. But deleting will only remove the reference to the data but the data will still persist until and unless it’s overwritten.

The Defragment free space only tries to rearrange the hard drive so that you can just have one and only one big block of free space. As you are not willing to change any performance parameter the two should not have any impact on each other.