Thread: Unable to install Grub2 in Debian Squeeze 6.0.2

Unable to install Grub2 in Debian Squeeze 6.0.2

Hey guys has someone faced any kind of problem while installing Grub2 on Debian squeeze 6.0.2 or 6.0.3. As when I tried to install Grub2 in my netbook for the 1st time it just said that you cannot install it in Debian Squeeze, LILO won't install as well. And as I needed it I installed the old version (5.0.3) on my netbook and it worked properly with the old version. So can anyone over here let me know how to install Grub2 in Debian squeeze 6.0.2 or 6.0.3.

Re: Unable to install Grub2 in Debian Squeeze 6.0.2

You will be getting help don’t worry about that but before that just let us know some things like: Exact error messages, LILO won't install, what do you select when you are asked where to install the while setup is running. How many hard drives do you have and how many partitions you have made.

I have installed Debian Squeeze 6.0.2 on my computer 2 days before only and I am planning to install it in my Laptop as well that I will do in 1-2 days. As I dint faced any kind of problem with my Grub in my computer but will let you know if I get any issues while I install it in the laptop. But can you let us know if there are any kinds of boot loader protection that Grub2 has.

I have only 1 hard disk 160 GB Sata HD 1.6 GHz. And I have created 3 partitions first partition 10 Gb used EXT3 for the file system, made it bootable. Second Partition of 5GB and the third partition of 145 GB.
    Now coming to you other question about Errors while installing grub2. It was not able to install in the /target/. And without grub boot loader the installed system won’t boot up. So I tried Lilo installed it to /dev/sda: Master boot record. But it is asking for more memory I don’t know why? After that it just asked if it need to run the /sbin/lilo. It installed Lilo and then the machine got boots. But there is not kernel menu, but I think it will be only show after a new kernel is installed in /target/. Grub2 is the biggest problem I have every faced in Linux till date.

I searched this problem at many places and I found that this is a common problem with Eee Pcs. And I also found a solution regarding your problem you need to boot to a rescue session and then just reinstall Grub2. Replace wheezy with squeeze in the repositories. And in Lilo IIRC if you need to see the menu then you need to press tab button. And about the partimage I am not able to understand anything.

Even my old Debian Squeeze disk had the same issue. While installing you need to select expert install. And as soon as you install the base system and all other packages and if you need them just drop to a shell and do: mount --bind /dev /target/dev and mount --bind /proc /target/proc and chroot /target.

After that just install grub and update grub.