Thread: How many photos iPhoto can Store on Mac OS X

How many photos iPhoto can Store on Mac OS X

As far as I know that most of the Mac users usually use iPhoto in order to manage the images. If there are lots of photos, then how iPhoto can manage it? How many number of image files does this iPhoto capable to manage in Mac OS X?

Re: How many photos iPhoto can Store on Mac OS X

You can store pretty much images on iPhoto depending on your HDD space and I don’t think that there is any limitations by the software. To check it, just open the Macintosh HD from your desktop. If it is not on the Desktop, then you can use the Finder. Check the capacity of system drive.

I am using the iPhoto and I have scored more than 18,000 pictures inside my iphoto library. There are lots of image both related to the work and personal. But here the problem is, due to lots of images, Macbook Pro is getting slows down. So I am looking for a best way to manage or back up my photos. I don’t want to use the Tag, keywords or something similar. Any suggestions?

There is a way around. If you have a back drive or external drive, you can copy the whole iPhoto Library folder to that one. After that you can delete the old library by directing it to the "new" library. New one will be now set to default. When the existing library reaches 10,000 photos, create a new one. iPhoto can detect multiple libraries but it will load only one during the boot time.

From iPhoto 6, it has been good for managing over 250,000 images. However if you are getting performance loss due to iPhoto, then there could be number reasons. The major one is about your HDD and the free space you have. The RAM capacity also counts here.

AS told in the above post, you can create multiple Libraries. As far as I know that the iPhoto library is robust enough to Hold more than 250,000 images.

The actual problem is, you may be importing bunch of pictures. Everytime you import, iphoto makes it as a new Roll even if it contains one photo or many. For each import process there is a separate roll. So far there could be lots of Rolls. In iPhoto ’08 Apple updated with an organizational tool called Events. This tool can help you to group photos. Every Roll is an Event and it is a default settings. You can Merge Events.