Thread: Third party monitor color calibration tool for iMac: is it worth?

Third party monitor color calibration tool for iMac: is it worth?

I need some good monitor color calibration tools for new iMac. I have gone through the reviews of a few like Colormunki, Spyder Pro as well as Eye One. I don’t know how to manually do the display calibration that is even in Apple's way. But I don’t mind using some tools which will save mine $100-200. Does anyone familiar with this subject? I would like to hear one particular tool.

Re: Third party monitor color calibration tool for iMac: is it worth?

If you are looking for the good color quality and repeated calibration process with decent accuracy then you don’t need to only trust on the eyeballs. Reading color patching is extremely difficult in Apple system. As far as I know that most of the tools along with list by you are excellent. I didn’t use all of them but I read the reviews and every one of them got the positive reviews.

Currently I am using the 27" iMac and I had used other monitors before along with this one. I never did the calibration because it wasn’t needed for me. I didn’t use the Spyder because I was not happy with it. Right now I am using only Eye-One with Colour Eyes Display Pro software. By the help of this third party software I can get very accurate display calibration. But still I rather consider that the default software that comes with the iMac is excellent for all.

One thing I have noticed that the default the iMac display is much bright. So before calibrating it would be better, if you reduce the brightness level to 50%

If you want know about the monitor color saturation, then compare your monitor to prints and print viewing conditions. The colormunki is an excellent tool lit which makes decent printer profiles as well as the monitor profiles.

Do you know what monitor settings you are using in order to calibrate?

I was looking forward to order the EyeOne Display 2 but by friend told me that it is not the best software or iMac in terms of calibration process. The problem is, it does not have a support of wide-gammut monitors. Other than this it will not offer profile video beamers out of the box. All these drawbacks only due to one reason and that is, this software not being updated for over 2 years.

I didn’t use the Colormunki but I use the eye-one display 2, but some people told me that Colormunki outperformed well. But in my case I didn’t see any good comments over i1Display Pro. This calibration tool is mainly aimed at the software but not the sensor. So I think you should consider Spyder as an alternative. Make sure that you use the “Advanced" setting rather than the standard. Set as more as parameters to get better result. Do not only rely on the Default values.