Thread: How to install fonts in GIMP on Ubuntu 11.10

How to install fonts in GIMP on Ubuntu 11.10

Hello friends, i am using laptop with Ubuntu 11.10 installed and was trying to work with GIMP and wanted to added some of the playful font, i have download it properly, it is working the library but not in GIMP. I have also change the permissions to Admin and copy it to GIMP's font folder, but i was not able to access the font file or GIMP files outside of GIMP's Preferences file window. So is there any method that how i can use a True Type font if there are any special changes or downloads, so please help me with this. Thank you.

Re: How to install fonts in GIMP on Ubuntu 11.10

When you have moved the font to the location where the GIMP is storing it's fonts. Which will be telling you that go in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf path for the fonts. When you have reached over there then you run 'fc-cache' in a terminal to update the font list, if you wanted to have more help then i would suggest that you better go to following link where you have command and the switches for it.

Ubuntu Manual

You will not get any problem with truetype on Ubuntu. I would suggest that you go to menu Places, then go to Home. Once you reached over there you make a folder called Downloaded_Fonts. Put all new downloaded font there to know where it is. Then you double click on the font icon. After that you click "Install Font" Button. then your font has been installed. Once you have installed it then you need to shutdown and then re-login for the font to be system-wide. I wouldn't think so with Ubuntu 11.10.

I would suggest that you better go to the following and you will get all information required for GIMP, so it will be helpful for you.

GIMP Tutorials