Thread: Increase in response times due to Outlook.PST file

Increase in response times due to Outlook.PST file

From last few months I have noticed an increase in response times from my client, I don’t know the reason why this is happening but I am wondering that the noticeable increase in response times is due to Outlook.PST files. My outlook.PST file has almost 300mb of data and now I want to ask several question about this:
    • First can it be related to the size of the Outlokk.PST file?
    • Secondly it is possible to organize this file in a manner so that I can get some improvement in response time and I would like to do this without uninstalling and installing process because it takes w whole day of work.

If anyone having some information regarding this issue then please help me.

Re: Increase in response times due to Outlook.PST file

You have not said that what version of Outlook you are using? but I think you can use this solution to organize the Outlook.PST file :
    1. First go to options> advanced> and then to maintenance
    2. In maintenance you will find the setting to compact the database on shut down.
    3. Just set that to 1 and exit, it should compact. Finally open it and change back to 100.

I am using Microsoft outlook 2003 prosp3 and I think the solution you have given are for more recent version. now Is there any software that will help in the compression of this file or is there any manual way so I can do the compaction of Outlook.PST file?

If you are using outlook 2003 prosp3 version or earlier versions of outlook then you can do the compaction of outlook.PST files manually by following simple steps:
    1. First go to the tools menu and just select the E-mail Accounts.
    2. Click on view or change existing e-mail account and then click next.
    3. Now select the Microsoft exchange server and then click on change.
    4. Select more setting and you will find the Advanced tab, IN ADVANCE TAB CLICK Offline Folder File settings.
    5. And then finally select Compact now.
    6. Note one thing when the compact operation is finished, select OK two times and click next and then lastly click on finish.

This files start getting slow down when it gets large and even it will provide you errors when it gets too big. So don’t forget to empty the deleted folder items but when you empty this folder then the files are still present in the PST file until you compact it, So try to compact this file by using any method to empty this folder.

I think to organize the size of PST files you should try the Archiving method. You can Archive the file by either directly from the file menu or by set up to auto archiving by right click on the folder that you want to archive and after this select properties and once you will select the properties you will able to see the Auto archive tab. Just make note that by this method theOutlook.PST files get smaller and the Archive.PDT files get bigger, But this will not a worry for you as when you find that the archive file is getting to large then you can create another.

I didn’t think so that Outlook.pst file will slow downs or start throwing error because as you said that your outlook.PST file has almost 300mb of data. I have worked with Outlook.pst files that were greater than 1GB and never experienced slow down of this file. The later versions of outlook can handle much larger pst files as compare to the early versions.