Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

VMplayer: Using of shared folder in Fedora 16 gives Kernel null pointer at the time of booting

Windows Software

Old 04-02-2012

VMplayer: Using of shared folder in Fedora 16 gives Kernel null pointer at the time of booting

right now I am having MacBook Pro on which I have installed Windows 7 x64. Also I am using VMplayer to use the guest operating system Fedora 16. Recently installed the latest version of vmware tools. Everything is working fine except one thing that is Shared folders options are not working. I am not able to get anything at /mnt/hgfs. Let me know if you are having any idea to fix the problem which I have stated over here.

Old 04-02-2012

Re: VMplayer: Using of shared folder in Fedora 16 gives Kernel null pointer at the time of booting

As far as I know kernel updates broken the shared folders file system driver into the HgfsMount HgfsReadSuper at the time of calling d_alloc_root. Well we need to wait for the update from the developer on this particular scenario.
Old 04-02-2012

Re: VMplayer: Using of shared folder in Fedora 16 gives Kernel null pointer at the time of booting

In order to fix the issue simply perform below mentioned steps.
Copy your CD to the directory.
You have to go for vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source and run below mentioned commands.
Code:
mkdir tmp
cd tmp
tar xvf ../vmhgfs.tar
you have to edit vmhgfs-only/nano filesystem.c and look for compat_d_alloc_name.
you have to replace the same with below mentioned code.

Code:
//rootDentry = compat_d_alloc_name(NULL, "/");
   struct qstr qs;
   qs.name = "/";
   qs.len = strlen ("/");
   qs.hash = full_name_hash ("/",strlen("/"));

rootDentry = d_alloc_pseudo(sb, &qs);

also edit out (not needed now)
//rootDentry->d_parent = rootDentry;
   //rootDentry->d_sb = sb;
You have to execute below mentioned command
Code:
tar -cf ../vmhgfs.tar *
now go for further and reinstall the vmware-install.pl.
Old 04-02-2012

We all are aware of that support for Linux from the VMware is quite poor. Also I have seen there are lots of people who are suffering from the same issue which you have mentioned over here. So if there is need of fix from the developers on this particular issue. Let?s hope that they would provide the possible solution to fix the matter of mine.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,