Thread: Error "Could not find component on update server" while installing VMware tools

Error "Could not find component on update server" while installing VMware tools

I have installed a Windows XP Pro build under a VM on Windows 7 Pro host using Player 4.02. When i am trying to install the VMware tools i get an error message saying that:"Could not find component on update server. Contact VMware support or your system administrator" and now i not able to install the VMware tools. I have contacted the VMware support but they are out of help. Now i don't know what to do and how to get rid of this issue? Please help me on this matter. Thanks

Re: Error "Could not find component on update server" while installing VMware tools

You are getting this issue due to the corrupted iso file and so therefore i would like to suggest you to download a new version of the windows iso file and install it manually and after that your issue will get solved. While installing this make sure you are installing VMWare Player folder. I hope this will help you out.

Re: Error "Could not find component on update server" while installing VMware tools

Hello,

I have installed the Ubuntu 10.04 verion with a guest account on a Windows 7 Home Prem 64 Bit OS but now i getting the same problem as above while using the VM Player 4.0.2. I have gone through a lot of solution to this but nothing is helping me out, now i don't know what to do and how to solve this. Can anyone please help me as well.

Even I am facing this same issue, but after downloading and installing Boinc using the Synaptic Package manager the issue got solved, so you can also try to install it and see if it works for you. Note that you need to open the player and after that go to the guest windows and under that click on File/DL all Components and remove all DLed files and then rebuild. Hope this will help you out.

I am having this same issue with VM Player 4.0.2 and i have tried everything as said above but still i am getting the same issue.

To solve this issue you should follow the below steps:
    • First download VMWare Tools for Linux from official website and then double click on the .exe file.
    • After that launch the VMPlayer and wait for 2 to 3 minutes and then click on the Virtual Machine to Install VMWare Tools.
    • Now the Ubuntu gui will pop up saying VM-Ware tools as a .tar.gz file.
    • Open the Terminal window and insert the cdrom to your home directory (here you need to mount the CD in your home directory)
    • To create a mounting point in your home directory follow the below steps:

$mkdir cdrom
    Login as root
    $sudo -i
    # mount /dev/cdrom /home/xxxx/cdrom
    exit out of root

Now copy the tar.gz file from the mounted directory to your home directory.
    $ cp * /home/xxxx

Now Uncompress and untar the file.
    $ uncompress *.tar.gz
    $ tar *

cd to vmware-tools-distrib
    • Now Execute vmware-install.pl and follow the directions.
    • $./vmware-install.pl
    • Now once you finish the installation then just start the VMware tools.