Thread: Windows Media Player Ripping Options Bug??

angry Windows Media Player Ripping Options Bug??

I can't rip CDs. The computer had a disk on it, and the ripping path was set to that disk, but that disk has been removed. Now WMP refuses to rip and it refuses to allow me to change the path.

Looks like I have to Uninstall WMP and reinstall it.

So here goes.

- ww

unsure No joy in a re-install

Nope. That did not work. The settings were not changed so they are still broken.
    ww

Re: Windows Media Player Ripping Options Bug??

Which version of Windows Media Player are you using? And which operating system is installed in your machine? Maybe the following articles would be worth a look:

windows media player will not let me rip a cd

Details...

Windows 7 x64
    WMP 12 - which is native to this OS.

As I said, I "removed" WMP with optionalfeatures.exe and then "reinstalled" it using the same technique. But this does not fix the Registry apparently since the problem remains.

Apparently the link is talking about another problem. My problem is that ripping fails, and the path is blank [ no path appears in the option dialog] and the (Change...) button does nothing so that the path cannot be reset. I was not able to find the path in the registry to reset it manually.

I think that if the registry entry for the path can be found, then it can be fixed.

- ww

Re: Windows Media Player Ripping Options Bug??

It could be that the directory where rip use to point to no longer exsits. Try remaking the path to were rip used to point to (no need to re-move your whole personnel folders just create the path to were rip pointed to then you can delete afterwards) , as soon as you have the right path made, the rip dialogue in WMP will show up again and you will be able to change it.

angry Yes of course the path is gone...

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    It could be that the directory where rip use to point to no longer exsits. Try remaking the path to were rip used to point to (no need to re-move your whole personnel folders just create the path to were rip pointed to then you can delete afterwards) , as soon as you have the right path made, the rip dialogue in WMP will show up again and you will be able to change it.
    Yes that's exactly what has happened. I REMOVED THE DISK DRIVE where the path pointed to. So of course I could add another disk back with the same name and same drive letter. But that's pretty extreme don't you think? Maybe it would be easier to add a USB device, but I'm not sure I can adjust the Drive letter to make it match.

Don't we think this is a bug?

- wp

cool A Workaround at least

Ok. Here's a reasonable fix...

(1) Get a USB disk. I used a MAXStore usb drive in a portable enclosure.
    (2) Plug the disk in. It may or may not show up. Mine didn't because it had been used on a linux system before. And in spite of the fact that I had created a FAT partition on it, windows wouldn't mount it.
    (3) If it does not mount automatically. Create a file system. Mine did not have a file system on it. In this case: Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management>> Make sure you have the correct disk [be very careful here] and delete any partitions, and recreate a partition. Use NTFS probably. CAREFUL You will trash all the data on the drive doing this.
    (4) Using Disk Management. Now assign the same drive letter that the previous disk had when it was on your system. I didn't , but you may have to shuffle other devices around. Hopefully that is not too big a problem.
    (5) Create the folder that existed before. You won't get help from WMP since it doesn't tell you where your library was.
    (6) Run WMP. Notice now that you can reset the folder to anywhere. Set it to one of the other drives on your system.
    (7) Go back to Disk Management and remove the drive letter from your system.
    (8) Remove the USB drive from the system and reboot.

Whew... Now you can rip again on this system that you broke by removing a drive.

- ww