Thread: Deleting corrupt .DBX files

Deleting corrupt .DBX files

Hey friends got stuck up with some serious issue. Recently few days ago I was accessing internet and after few minutes just to recollect some of my mails I opened up my Outlook Express 6. But unfortunately encountered an error message, couldn’t remember the exact message but it restricted to open up the mails. Not only the error message restricts me but also refuses to close the OE, i tried to close it using CTRL-ALT, also XP pro didn’t help. So I was forced to restart and reboot the system.

But again I came across with huge number of error messages; those messages were regarding the invalid file name and length. System ran smoothly and perfectly and I found that all my outlook folders were present also checked my store location and found that those existing folders consisted of corrupt files named GILLft~1 and DOUGfs~1 which shows as the outlook files. it also shows LIG
    T~3.DB.

Please friends help me out. How can I get rid of these .DBX files? How can delete these files?

Re: Deleting corrupt .DBX files

Hi, without asking you any related question or doubts let me get you with a solution. Try this out.

Open Command prompt leave it as it is, then close all other programs excluding the command prompt. Then:
    • Go to START
    • RUN
    • Enter TASKMGR.EXE
    • Go to Processes Tab
    • End Process on Explorer.EXE
    • Keep the Task Manager open

Now after performing the above steps get back to command prompt window, change to the directory where exactly the files are located.

In the command prompt type DEL <filename>, where “<filename>” is the name of the file you want to delete.

Back to Task Manager > Click File > New Task > Enter EXPLORER.EXE in order to restart the GUI shell.

I think the first thing you need to do is to check whether those files are corrupted or not. in my opinion I feels that they have actually been converted into 8.3 files naming convention. And for your kind information conversation of outlook files into such type doesn’t means that they are actually corrupted.
    But maybe the possibility is that the outlook is unable to find them.

I guess the names which you have mentioned above in the posts are called Truncated naming. They are handled at the DOS programming. Many a times it happens in most of the machines which causes the truncation of some of the files and folder while reading at some of the point.
    The main causes of such problem are due to:

• Turning DMA on the hard drive while running a 40 wire IDE ribbon
    • Overclocking your processor
    • Ghosting a hard drive and placing the ghosted image on either an incompatible
    • hard drive
    • Can also cause due to virus
    • Shutting down the computer directly using the power button, when the hard drive is on process or in a written mode.