Thread: unable to install or delete the auto update 2.3.3 for Microsoft office 2011 on mac 10.6.8

unable to install or delete the auto update 2.3.3 for Microsoft office 2011 on mac 10.6.8

Hey guys, i am using the iMac 10.6.8 and office 2011. I was trying to install the auto update 2.3.3 but could not install it. I searched it on the internet and found solution as “to delete auto update”. I haven’t found the auto update yet in my computer I have searched with finder but still with no success. Do I need to uninstall and re-install the office 2011 or there is another way to fix this?

Re: unable to install or delete the auto update 2.3.3 for Microsoft office 2011 on mac 10.6.8

It looks like you have some problem in User’s folder. Try repairing by following these step:
    1. In lion os there is a hidden tool for repairing permissions applications. It is located in boot repair utility.
    2. Restart the computer then press the “ctrl” + “r”.
    3. It will take you to the repair utility. On the top there is a menu bar, select terminal from there.
    4. In the terminal you will have to type “resetpassword” and press return.
    5. Now it will launch the password resetting utility, click on the hard drive icon on the top. There is a drop down list from where you can select the user account having this problem.
    6. At the bottom of the window, there is a label called ”Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs” . now click the “reset” button to reset all settings.

When you are booting from repair utility, start the “repair permission” and the “repair drive” In disk utility. Follow the steps to reset “ permissions” :
    1. Open disk utility.
    2. Go to the first aid tab , there you will see the option for “repair permissions”
    3. Click on the boot volume icon
    4. Select “repair permission”.
    5. Click repair disk, it will show your disk select it.

When you are done close the application and restart the computer.

Re: unable to install or delete the auto update 2.3.3 for Microsoft office 2011 on mac 10.6.8

Actually I did this but it is not solving my problem. I need a solution on how to remove the faulty updater or replace the auto update file. Can anyone tell me the location of this file! Hope you give me the valid answer to this problem?

This is the exact location:/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app.
    Check that this is the valid updater for Microsoft office. Click the get info on the folder to verify that you have the read/write user permissions for this. You can manually download the updater from Microsoft official web site. Go to the website and select the tab saying “additional tools”. From there look for the Microsoft Auto Update 2.3.3 for Mac .

I have already visited the official website and downloaded the Auto Update file. It shows like a disk image to download. When I tried to open the file it gives the error message saying ” word cannot open this document, document might be in use , it might not be valid word document or file name may contain invalid characters” what to do now?