Thread: How to Merge Cells vertically in Microsoft Excel without loosing the Data

How to Merge Cells vertically in Microsoft Excel without loosing the Data

I have imported a word table into excel. Some of the word cells have several paragraphs - and when imported they end up in individual cells - e.g. A1, A2 and A3. Now I want to merge all three cells into one - but I want to keep the contents. If I just select them and click the "Merge and Center" button - then I only get the contents of A1. How do I merge cells vertically and simply concatenate data. Best would be to have a line-break between the original cell contents.

Re: How to Merge Cells vertically in Microsoft Excel without loosing the Data

Don't merge cells. Merging causes many problems, as the archive of this group will tell you. If you want to concatenate, use the CONCATENATE function or the & operator. If you want a line break, use CHAR(10). Hence =A1&CHAR(10)&A2&CHAR(10)&A3 and format cells/ alignment/ wrap text.

What I can offer is just concatenate but through a macro that loops through your first cabbage and combine each cell to the next, keeping both values. Another option would no macros, auxiliary concatenated in a cabbage with this formula: = B1 & "" & C1 stretching the rest of the auxiliary col. Then you subtract this cabbage and copy paste special, values only.

The procedure for joining two cells in Excel is very simple. Simply select all the cells you want to join (can be many, not necessarily two) and pressed the button on the top bar of the Combine and Center. In the next image I have marked with a red arrow to find it faster. If you do not have the shortcut bar, look in the menus. Once the cells selected, go to the Format menu, then Cells (or press Ctrl +1 and get the same result). To perform the reverse operation, i.e., disengage the cells, should select the combination of cells and click the same button again in the bar we used to join them. The same applies to those who have done from the Menu. Access format cell again and remove the tick box Merge Cells.