Thread: Choices are grayed out in 'Select Destination' when restoring from Acronis True Image 2011

Choices are grayed out in 'Select Destination' when restoring from Acronis True Image 2011

I have been trying to restore Win7 installation using the Acronis True Image 2011, actually I am having 1TB disk RAID and 2 500GB which are set to raid 1, I am also having 2 backup images from which 1st one is of 8gb which I had created after os install along with the updates and the antivirus as well.2nd one is of 30 gb which was created after I had installed programs, The problem that I am having now is that I am not able to restore from the 30 gb where as the 8gb worked fine for me but then I wasn’t to get the 30 gb work as well, is there anyone who can help me out with the same??

Re: Choices are grayed out in 'Select Destination' when restoring from Acronis True Image 2011

I have been trying to restore Win7 installation using the Acronis True Image 2011, actually I am having 1TB disk RAID and 2 500GB which are set to raid 1, I am also having 2 backup images from which 1st one is of 8gb which I had created after os install along with the updates and the antivirus as well.2nd one is of 30 gb which was created after I had installed programs, The problem that I am having now is that I am not able to restore from the 30 gb where as the 8gb worked fine for me but then I wasn’t to get the 30 gb work as well, is there anyone who can help me out with the same??
    Before I suggest you something about this I just want to know your system specification so that I can have a better idea about the cause of this issue, just post the same here for further help.

Re: Choices are grayed out in 'Select Destination' when restoring from Acronis True Image 2011

My system specification is as followed:
    • Windows 7 pro
    • Intel core i5
    • Z68 Chipset
    • Intel RAID

I also wanted to share that previously I was having Three 1TB HDDs in a RAID5 configuration from which I have lost 2 by now and when I had made the backup I had performed the entire disk and now I have found that 1 partition is shown as 100MB where as the 2nd one is shown as 1.8TB, according to me the second partition is 30GB where as the Acronis 2011 is taking it as 1.8TB and I have been receiving errors like 'Insufficient Space' when I used to try recovering from 160GB, I think that the Acronis is not capable of handling the large sized partition. I doubt that I am hitting a size limit but then I am not very sure about the same.

I think that you should try out the below steps and see if it is making any difference:
    • First recover using the recovery CD and make sure that it is reading the raid properly
    • After that just restore from the 100MB system reserved partition and also make sure that you are having 100MB system reserved partition left before the partition gets sized and also mark it as primary active
    • After the restoring process is complete do not reboot the machine and just restore the C:\system partition and after when you are done with the same then restore the MBR+track0 along with the disk signature as well

I think that the above solution should work for you, just try it out and then let me know if it helps.

Ok I will try out the same but then I just wanted to know that what you meant by leaving a 1MB offset? I am not aware of the same can you please explain me? As far as I remember I had restored 100MB partition and then I did with the second partition and I had made sure that I had not rebooted the machine between, I don’t think that I have missed out something, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I hope that you have not tried out the sector-by-sector backup, anyways just try to run a chkdsk /r on the partition which is not showing the right size. Juts to explain you offset parameter for the 100MB partition in your case should be shown as space left, just try it out and then let me know what you get.

See if backing up mounted image is not working for you then I think that you will have to try out hardware manipulations and if you are willing to try out the same then just get a 2 TB disk and after that make a spanned 'raid' of your 1tb+500+500 and after that just recover to it, Once you are done with the above processes then run chkdsk /r and after that make the backup and then just check that it is having the normal size.I think that this should solve the issue for sure.

Even I have thought of it but then I have kept the same as my last option, I thought that there would be a solution for the same but then I have not got any luck by now, I would have tried out the same if I would have not lost the other 2 tb hard disk that I had tried out previously, I am thinking of getting it next month as their prices are quite high now a days but then if anyone has a workaround for the same then please let me know and it will be highly appreciated.