Thread: How to upgrade internal drive to a larger drive using acronis

How to upgrade internal drive to a larger drive using acronis

I have a Samsung PC at my home having windows XP installed on it and my desktop contains only a single 250MB Seagate drive but from last few months I am facing bad time on my desktop because of this and also now trend to use a larger drive so I have purchased a new 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive. It is a brand new I have start up discs along with the manuals with a complete boxed version but it does not having the cables.

Re: How to upgrade internal drive to a larger drive using acronis

The Seagate website indicates that I need to make some modification of the bios since I am using the 1TB drive by replacing the 250 MB drive but doesn’t provide any instruction what parameters must be changed. if anyone having any information related with the changes of bios and how to install the new 1tb drive on my system ,then please recommend me.

I am also facing the similar problem I have a 250 GB Seagate hard drive on my desktop and recently one of my technician told me that my hard drive was bad and I had to replace it ,now I am thinking to replace my hard drive with the same brand but with the more capacity upto 1tb but I am not sure if I do this so I have to make some additional changes with the bios, please help me.

I don’t know anything regarding the changes of bios but once I had upgrade my internal 180 GB to a larger 1tb drive , and for that you just need to install the new drive on your desktop boot it using the boot CD and just restore it from an existing back up. before installing the new drive you just sure about what changes does your bios need.

I don’t know about the 250 mb upgrade but previously if you are using 250 gb then you will no need to make any additional change for the bios you just try to install the new disk and when you finished the first boot after installation the bios will indicate your new disk and its capacity . if your bios indicates this hen your new disk has been successfully installed on your desktop.

You can easily install your new 1tb drive by replacing the 250 mb drive without making any changes to your bios , to do so just follow the steps given below:
    First shut down your computer and then remove your old hard drive and add a new hard drive if you are not having cables for your new hard drive then not to worry just use the same sata cable and connect it to the motherboard
    Then start your computer and enter the bios and then check the new disk if you see your new disk then boot it using acronis recovery disk
    Choose the restore option from the cd and choose the latest backup from the hard disk and transfer it to the new drive as a target
    And then finally select the RESTORE to restore your backup in your new hard drive then after doing this just simply remove the acronis recovery cd and then boot from the new drive, if you do not want to proceed further then before removing the recovery cd you will see a cancel option you can select it if you want to.

I think there is no need to make any changes regarding the bios but you can make sure that by confirming with the acronis, you just have to contact acronis tech support they assist you if require what parameters you should enter to your bios or what values did you need.