Thread: MS Project help with duration and predessor scheduling

MS Project help with duration and predessor scheduling

Hi all

Just wondering if someone can help me with a problem I'm having.
    I'm relatively new to MS Project and am having fun trying to set up a project plan!

Basically I have a milestone date for a task group which is the initial set up date of a program.
    At various timepoints from this initial date I have tasks to do...
    e.g. 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and 12 month.

I was intending on setting these tasks as sub tasks of the main task. I want these to start at 1 calendar month after the milestone, 3 calendar months after the initial milestone etc

(So if the milestone was 1st Jan 2012, I want the first task to be 1 month - the 1st of Feb 2012 - or the nearest working day to that)

However, the duration of these sub tasks are in days (e.g. 10 or 15 days) but I want the duration to be working days not calendar days (which in my case is Monday - Friday and I have also set up my calendar to include all public holidays and non-working days)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Re: MS Project help with duration and predessor scheduling

If you are new to this then you must go through the below given link that will let you to understand that wow scheduling works in Project.

How scheduling works in Project

Re: MS Project help with duration and predessor scheduling

Quote Originally Posted by HJM View Post
    Hi all

Just wondering if someone can help me with a problem I'm having.
    I'm relatively new to MS Project and am having fun trying to set up a project plan!

Basically I have a milestone date for a task group which is the initial set up date of a program.
    At various timepoints from this initial date I have tasks to do...
    e.g. 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and 12 month.

I was intending on setting these tasks as sub tasks of the main task. I want these to start at 1 calendar month after the milestone, 3 calendar months after the initial milestone etc

(So if the milestone was 1st Jan 2012, I want the first task to be 1 month - the 1st of Feb 2012 - or the nearest working day to that)

However, the duration of these sub tasks are in days (e.g. 10 or 15 days) but I want the duration to be working days not calendar days (which in my case is Monday - Friday and I have also set up my calendar to include all public holidays and non-working days)

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
    I'm not sure I understand your question precisely. All durations in Microsoft Project are in working days as defined in your calendar. So, if you create a 7-day duration task starting on Monday it will end the following Tuesday night - 7 working days later. Bear in mind that milestones have no duration -- so they do not have to pay attention to working and non-working time -- they can be schedule for weekends. A work around is to create one-minute tasks -- not zero duration tasks.

You may also want to post to the Project forum in the future:

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/

I hope this helps.

Julie