Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012

How to lock or group together certain set of rows in Excel

Hi friends recently while using excel I just stop at one place, I have a list which needs to consolidate with another and then sorted chronologically. Then I needed to lock or group together certain set of rows, so for that I have try several of tricks and method but however I fail to do that, so if you have any information how to do, then please let me know.
Old 06-01-2012

Re: How to lock or group together certain set of rows in Excel

According to my information you should try this out, Add a helper column and then put numbers in this column and the Row that must stay together, after that give same number and use this as the first sort key. May this will help you to some extends for group together certain set of rows in Excel.
Old 06-01-2012

This thing is possible in excel, as I have seen that when we use "Subtotals" or "Group & Outline", we can sort the summary (subtotal) rows, leaving the grouped rows intact, as individual units. So this is possible with this thing in the Excel.
Old 06-01-2012

I have so this thing to make such thing happen in excel, so you just try this out for grouping together certain set of rows in Excel.
So, to manually group some rows, enter A, B, C, etc down Column A, say to A20. And In B1 enter 1/1/12, In C1 enter =Rand ()
after that, Select *both* B1 and C1, and using the fill handle, drag down to Row 20. While both columns are *still* selected, click, <Data> <Sort>
Sort by Column C - <OK> You now have Column A in order, with various dates in Column B. So for that, select the rows 1, 2, and 3 by clicking in the row headers. While these rows are selected, hold down the <Shift> and <Alt> key and hit the <Right Arrow>.You have now manually grouped the first 3 rows, with A, B, and C.
So for grouping more rows, you just have to do the same thing for grouping rows 8, 9, and 10, with H, I, and J, and also rows 16, 17, and 18, with P,Q, and R. If you see the minus sign by rows 4, 11, and 19 then this means that *each* 3 row group will remain intact, and sort as a group,
depending on the value in rows 4, 11 and 19. After doing this select A1 to B20, and sort on Column B. This will puts everything in chronological order, *except* the individual groups, which are dependent on the date in their respective summary rows.
Old 06-01-2012

I have tried the above procedure but still not able to get the proper solution for group together certain set of rows in Excel, what I am missing to do this grouping of rows. So what I have to do now. Please help
Old 06-01-2012

Quote:
I have tried the above procedure but still not able to get the proper solution for group together certain set of rows in Excel, what I am missing to do this grouping of rows. So what I have to do now. Please help
The ideas given by 'Alfons' is proper, so after doing that steps you just have to hit: <Ctrl> <8> to toggle the Outline symbols to display or hide. That "8" *must* be the 8 that's under the function keys. The one from the num keypad *doesn't* work!

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , ,