Thread: Getting Program.xls cannot be found error on Microsoft Excel

Getting Program.xls cannot be found error on Microsoft Excel

Every time Excel opens I get an error message that advises it cannot find Program.xls. After clicking OK on this error a second error comes up advising it cannot find 'Files\Microsoft.xls. This occurs no matter how I open Excel. If I log in as Administrator on the local domain I do not get the error. I have Administrator rights on my computer both through the local domain and the Main domain. Any ideas or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Getting Program.xls cannot be found error on Microsoft Excel

This is generally caused by not having double quotes around the shortcut command line. You can try the usually fixes. First click on Tools > Options > General uncheck > Ignore other Applications. Exit Excel and try again. This might work. If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel. Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar. The methods to fix them are :
    1. Click on Start > Run type excel.exe /unregserver > OK.
    2. Click on Start > Run type excel.exe /regserver > OK.
    3. Do not forget to add the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe. In that case click on Start > Run and type C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver > OK. If the above still does not work then there are more steps you can try.

Go to Start > Settings > Folder > Options > File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit. If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then Advanced > Open > Edit. In Command line the path should be similar to this : C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if - you want Book1 to open. You must have the double quotes. Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]. Application should read Excel.

I had already tried the unreg and re reg. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I tried deleting and recreating the file association as admin domain following your suggestions and that did not work either. I have done a search on my system and these two files do not exists even in hidden or system folders. Any other ideas?

No more suggestions from me. At least one of those three should have solved the problem, so I am now out of ideas. If there are no double quotes in the command line, you will get the messages you see. Try opening from Start>Run by entering this : C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE.

I have exactly the same problem, and the suggested fixes do not work. The messages are displayed whenever excel is opened, be it via a menu, short cut or file. It started after changing the domain, so it could be a permissions problem. The two messages refer to 'crogram.xls' and 'Files\Microsoft.xls'. Excel is in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11' and the two files are first two space seperted parts of the path, which is another clue. I think excel is getting confused and is trying to use files that do not
    exist.

Check the Add-Ins. To check that click on Tools and then look for AddIns. This might have valid paths for your issue.

I found and fixed the problem - at least on my computer. The problem is with the Add-ins when they start up. The offending Registry keys can be found he : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options. And each Addin has a Name of "OPEN#"; for example, OPEN, OPEN1, OPENn. I have four Addin's opening this way and Two of them do not have the double quotes ("") around the Addin path. Here were mine:
    • OPEN1 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA
    • OPEN2 C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA
    • I wrapped the command and file names in double quotes like this:
    • OPEN1 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\Analysis\ATPVBAEN. XLA"
    • OPEN2 "C:\Program Files\MSOffice\OFFICE11\Library\HTML.XLA"