Thread: VBA Error "This workbook has lost its VBA project" in Excel 2003

VBA Error "This workbook has lost its VBA project" in Excel 2003

I have recently upgrade from Office XP to Office 2003. I'm running XP Pro w/SP2 and all of the updates for Windows and Office. Here is the problem that I am facing. When trying to run macros in Excel 2003 I get the following error message:"This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability-related features." Not sure why I'm getting this message, everything is installed from the CD. I have done all of the troubleshooting listed on Microsoft's website, and nothing seems to help. But if I go back to Excel 2002 and run the same program I don't have any problems. Any thoughts?

Re: VBA Error "This workbook has lost its VBA project" in Excel 2003

It sounds as if VBA was not installed or it has been turned off (which can be done with a registry entry). More likely the former. What happens when you try to enter the VBE (Alt-F11)? If you get an error then try running Office setup again and under Office Shared Features make sure Visual Basic for Applications is selected for installation.

VBA was installed when I setup Office 2003. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003, about 3 or 4 times and nothing seems to happen. I don't have the option to do Alt-F11 it is grayed out. Try hitting alt-f11 using the keyboard.

I have a keyboard. What I mean is when you go to tools, macros, the VBA (Alt-F11), function is grayed out. If that works, then maybe it's just a toolbar problem (resetting it may fix it). If alt-f11 didn't work, then the solution may not be as easy. Go to Tools > customize > toolbars > select worksheet menubar > click reset if alt-f11 works. You will lose any other customizations to that toolbar, though.

Excel 2003 crashes using save as excel 97-excel 2003 & 5.0/95 .xls
    Excel VBA error: Method Add of ChartObjects failed
    Excel 2003 documents open slow or do not open.

That does not work. I don't have a clue what is wrong. Like I have stated
    before, I have uninstalled, reinstalled Office 2003 and have not had any luck. Hitting alt-f11 or trying to reset the toolbars. Does this happen with every workbook you open. What happens if you start excel and create a new macro, save that file, close it, and reopen it. If it only happens with older (xl2002) workbooks, it sounds as though the workbooks were corrupted and excel could only open them after excel removed the project. I'm not sure what would be the best way to remedy this. Do you have access to another pc that runs xl2003? If yes, do you get the same problem on that pc. If it happens with the new workbook, then I'm at a loss. Maybe Help|Detect and repair could help.

Can you try this?
    • Start excel in safe mode
    • close excel
    • windows start button|Run
    • excel /safe
    • Try the alt-f11 and tools|macro|macros...

Does it work ?

The extension of a basic excel 2007 is XLSX using the format of the XML language. This format has been improved in order to take into account items such as the charts and Graphics which was not part of the basic XML language. It has become a format that microsoft called SpreadsheetML.What is peculiar is that if an Excel file contains data in spreadsheets and macros, data sheets are stored in their format and macros in the format. These two elements are compressed and will file with the extension. xlsx. If you open the file xlsx, you will get your original file.