Thread: How to share folders from an external drive using a PC Share Manager

How to share folders from an external drive using a PC Share Manager

I am running windows vista on my computer and I am also having PC Share Manager and I just wanted to know is there a way to share folders from an external drive using a PC Share Manager, I have tried to do so but did not found a way out, is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well, any help regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: How to share folders from an external drive using a PC Share Manager

I am running windows vista on my computer and I am also having PC Share Manager and I just wanted to know is there a way to share folders from an external drive using a PC Share Manager, I have tried to do so but did not found a way out, is there anyone who has an idea about it and can help me out as well, any help regarding the same will be appreciated.
    I think that I can help you out here, just follow the below steps for the same:
    • Go to start and then open the command prompt as administrator
    • Then go in to just check in what letter is assigned to the external drive that you have connected and then just type “mklink /d c:\samsungmovies f:\shared” without the quotes in the Command Prompt and then press enter.
    • Now just replace the "samsungmovies" with the folder name that you are willing to make and also replace the "shared" with the folder in which your media file is stored. Just to make it simple for you, if you external drive is “G” and the media files is in a folder “movies” say in the root of “G” then type “mklink /d c:\samsungmovies f:\movies” in the command prompt and then press enter.
    • After all this you will get a message saying that Symbolic Link is created, so just close the command prompt and then open PC Share Manager and then search for the shared folder, as far as I am aware it will be in the “C” drive. When you get it then you can share the same with other folders as well but make sure that you refresh DB in order for the changes to take the effect, just try it out and then let me know if you are able to do the same. Best of luck.

I have an easier way to do the same:
    • First go to that directory where you have installed the PC Share Manager in general it is in the C:\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung PC Share Manager.
    • When you enter the folder than search for the configinfo.ini and then open it up by double clicking on it and after that just E:\Movies under the Shared Folders section, the drive might be different in your case so make sure that you are putting the proper one.
    • After that just Save the ini file and then close the same and then run the PC Share Manager and then you will find that the external drive has been shared already, so now just refresh or update the DB by clicking on the “Set Changed State” and after that just check out in theTV or Blu Ray player and all the media files will be there. Best of luck.

I have tried to follow you solution but then I am not just able to enter the C:\Windows\system32 and I am not able to go further, I have also found that the PC share keeps on disconnecting and I am really getting irritated with the same, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I will suggest you to just go to the location in explorer through my computer and after that just try enter the below line:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Samsung\Samsung PC Share Manager"
    Try to enter it with the quotes if it does not work without them, I think that they might be required as they are having space in between, Just try it out and then let me know what you get.

Hey thanks for that, I was not entering the same without the quotes and no I have finally made it out, I mean that now I have managed the create an account, Thank for your help once again, I really appreciate your help.

Even I wanted to do the same and I have tried out the above solution that you have mentioned, I am having windows vista and the problem is that when I am making the required changes and then when I am trying to save it then I am getting the below error:
    “Can not create the .......configinfo.ini file.” And it also say to check the path and file name, I am quite sure that I have entered the right path and I have crossed check it several times as well, I don’t think that I have missed any steps as well but then I don’t know that why I am facing this problem. Do you have an idea about this??

I am not very sure if you are having the same case but then I just wanted to share that the solution that I have mentioned above will not work if someone has hooked up a external drive directly to a usb port on a router and it won’t work if the HDD is on the shared as a network drive. This solution will only work if the External drive is connected to the usb port on your pc and that is further running the PC Share Manager,So just check the same out and let me know if you are having any of the above case or not??

Yes I am having the same case and that’s what I was thinking so far that why I am not able to access any data that is on the NAS or other networked drives?? Whereas I don’t have any problem in displaying data that is on the c: drive of the machine where I have installed the PC Share Manager. I Just wanted to know that isn’t there a way to get it work for the NAS or other networked drives, I have tried to find a solution for the same but then I have not yet got any success, if you are aware of any such solution then please share it will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a solution for you and it is by using mezzmo rather than using the pc share manager, I have been using the same and it just works great as well with the Network drives, the only thing that is difficult about it is setting it up but then you can do it with some help, just get the same and then you won’t have any problem in sharing data that is on the NAS or other networked drives.

I don’t think that “mezzmo” is a good option because even I have used the same and I have found that it is not able to recognize MPEG Movie Clip files and the interface is also quite confusing because if there is some problem than it won’t display the same and it will stay like that only, Just for e.g. if the video format is not recognized then it won’t give you any error message or something and it will remain like that only, and will leave the same upon you to find out the error.