Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad T420s fan regulations in Kubuntu 11.10 Beta2

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s fan regulations in Kubuntu 11.10 Beta2

Hi I have just migrated to linux recently and i must say that it is a very decent os. There is Kubuntu 11.10 Beta2 OS running on my Lenovo ThinkPad T420s laptop. Can anybody help me to maintain the parameters of the kernel. Actually I want to maintain the fan regulations in Kubuntu but I have not brief knowledge about how to do this complicated task on my Lenovo system. There an idle machine has a fan RPM of ~2000 at a CPU temperature of ~40 C in a 23 C room. I decided to maintain this figure and hence I’m waiting some excellent ideas behind this issue. Can anybody help me to fix this issue? Any help must be necessary here.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T420s fan regulations in Kubuntu 11.10 Beta2

To 'revert' those kernel options you need to boot with the kernel parametres --> pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1. Then set the respective values onto your laptop system. You can also see that the number of parameters of the CPU and its related hardware devices using this dialog box you can able to control the FAN speed. This will be work to fix your problem. Try this simple thing and check what result arrives onto it.

You can also try this with the help of the NVidia closed-source X server. The problem is if your hardware a bit outdated but still wants to use it. You can do this with the help of this useful NVidia closed-source X server. Try this and locate the behavior of the laptop.

You can try to first run thinkpad_acpi module onto your Lenovo laptop. It generates /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_hwmon/ entries into that Kubuntu system. It deals with the fan, where sensor programs can read the speed and generic fan control can be exerted by echoing 0 to 255. Hence this simple running the thinkpad_acpi module works to maintain the laptop FAN speed. Hence try this simple thing d check what result arrives onto it.

Kubuntu has often been mentioned as a possible replacement for Ubuntu for users who dislike Unity. There is possibility on this system to control the FAN of the CPU by using some third party software. You need to check this software on the official site of the Lenovo. In windows such software name is CPUID CPU-Z. It might be possible that the similar type of software also being works on the Linux based Kubuntu system. Hence try this thing and check its result on your laptop system. This is better for that user who wants to control their fan speed in GUI basis.

For doing this fan control task on your Kubuntu, you need to run below mentioned code on terminal window. Such code is being as follows:
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/trip_points
    Then you need to install powersaved by using the code as:
    sudo apt-get install powersaved
    sudo powersave –T
    sudo kate /etc/powersave/thermal
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ0/trip_points
    Last code works to maintain the trip points (fan speeds) present on this laptop system. This is best for your laptop. hence try this and check what result arrives onto it.

You can directly run this below mentioned code to maintain the speed of the FAN.
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ1/trip_points
    After that it shows you the FAN temperature, its speed and related configurations. Hence then you need to use the proper code for maintain the mentioned parameters of this FAN. Try this simple thing and check what result arrives onto it.

I fixed the code in pwmconfig, and it will help me a lot to do this FAN regulations task. When I run pwmconfig, it detects my two fans, one attached to the CPU_FAN header, and other to SYS_FAN header. I found this all the details about this in the manual of the Kubuntu. You need to also read some articles as well as manual of this laptop system. Hence try this simple thing and check what result arrives onto it. This is better for you.