Thread: .zip files vs. .rar files

.zip files vs. .rar files

Hi, i am about to compress a file which i wanted to burn in a disk, thus i am planning to at least compress those file so that they can easily copied to the disk and i can write them. but let me tell you as i am not computer savvy being and that's why i am not aware about any such compressing software.

but when i was searching about the same yesterday on internet i came to know about the software files as i have mentioned in the title itself, but along with that i came to know that they have their different software's as well for compressing the files. so guys according to you which one would be better to use, i mean to say which software will make me enable to compress at the most least size? any suggestion would be surely esteemed.

Re: .zip files vs. .rar files

See there isn’t far much difference between the file types you have mentioned and between their respective software’s as well. But this is actually a personal preference for sure, as I used to use winrar only from the day I have started compressing the file and that’s why I am not even aware about the another file software. Thus my recommendation is to make use of rar file but still you can have option to choose from any and they are quite small software’s thus you can try both of them for sure.

approximately each application or Operating system can work with .zip files, so they are much more portable according to me. You can be secure to send a zip file to a friend, for instance when It comes to send the file across internet or through any other source compare to rar files.

.Rar has better compression and there is no doubt about this, but you require another utility like WinRar or the free 7-zip to exercise them. You wouldn't desire to send a rar file to a friend unless you were in no doubt they could make use of them.

I am completely disagree with the above user in terms of security, because the thing is like though you send rar file over internet or any other sources they are consider as the most secured file, and I thin you are not aware about the same. Otherwise as mentioned the compression ratio that you’ll get will tremendous. and I am not sure about the ZIP file but when it comes to security rar file provides an password protection as well and because of that only you can move it wherever you want.

That’s quite fine you are about to compress the file and wanted to keep in the disk but can you please let me know how much is the file size that you are about to compress. Because you should be aware as if you are trying to compress any gigantic file then that doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to compress it till the disk size because as mentioned by the above user the software has their own compression ration and according to that only you’ll be getting and compressed file so that’s why it should not be consider as you’ll be able to compress it till the level rather size you want.

I would say you should make use of winrar only, because here again I would like to introduce you about the feature as you can open the .zip file in the winrar software, but you can’t open rar file ins winzip.

Though that’s quite precise as the .zip file are more portable but still there are quite more users of wirar rather than winzip, anyways its exclusively depends upon you no doubt.

it was really quite good to see all such comments regarding the file compression and it seems having winrar would be good option, but please anyone let me know from where can I have that software for my machine. Is the software is operating system specific, if so then let me tell you as I have installed windows 7 in my machine, thus If there is any such limitation then give me the one which is compatible with this OS. Thanks for the above suggestion by the way.

it was quite good seeing you have already written about the operating system you are using, but it could be better if you had mentioned the exact verso ion. Anyways that’s not the big deal however as I have give the link for both 32bit windows and for 64bit windows as well, you can download it according to your convenience.

- 64 bit

- 32 bit