Thread: what are my other options rather than SMB for Boxee Box Media Steamer

what are my other options rather than SMB for Boxee Box Media Steamer

I am using a Boxee box and by now I am really tired of losing the shares and run the gauntlet of BS fixes and now I just wanted to know that if there is other options rather than SMB for Boxee Box Media Steamer and is there any kind of guide which can help me to fix this issue and provide me a option OTHER than SMB with Boxee Box. Is there anyone who has an idea about this? Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: what are my other options rather than SMB for Boxee Box Media Steamer

You can try out the Hanewin NFS and I have found it to be working very well for high bitrate files as well. It implements a multithreaded NFS Server almost for the entire windows platform. It also supports the NFS 3, NFS 2 as well as the WebNFS protocol. It also supports the UDP and the TCP connections. It also supports the Unix soft-links and Unix hard-links on NTFS volumes as well for all the higher version of windows from the Windows 2000.It also supports the Inodes for block- and character devices.

In order to configure the NFS Share on Windows 7.What all you have to do is just Download and Install haneWIN and then switch off the Windows firewall and then run it as an administrator and then Go to Server tab and check The “convert windows drive letters to lower case” and the “UTF-8 character set “ as well and then Go to Exports tab and then click on ‘Edit exports file’ and then add your share location. After you are done with this just click on “Restart Server” and then it will setup windows 7 as NFS server with share in order to access it by other operating systems.

I have tried using the Hanewin NFS server but the problem I have been facing is that when I added the blu-ray as a scanned NFS source and then I went to the files and when I was able to locate the blu-ray I then clicked on it and then I got a error saying “Loading Error Could not Access file or source” and when I am going to the network NFS and when I am clicking on it and then when I click on the blu-ray then I am able to locate my movies and play them as well. Is there anyone who has an idea about such case? Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

You can revert back to the 1.0.4.17443 without update checks. What all you have to do is Download the 1.0.4.17443 firmware and then just Plug an Ethernet cable between your Boxee Box and your router and then login as a administrator to the console of your router and then create a filter and then deny access to the dl.boxee.tv,app.boxee.tv and apply the router setting and then enter the recovery mode and switch it off and then hold the Power button for 10 seconds and then release it and now the Boxee Box will start with a yellow light instead of green. After this Reset the Boxee Box to factory default settings and then Select the "Restore Factory Defaults" from the recovery menu and then ignore the prompt and then go in to the recovery mode again and then insert the USB drive into slot on Boxee Box and then select the "USB Upgrade" from recovery menu and after you router is connected it will ask you for login so update the filter and then remove the previous hostnames and then add "boxee.iso" to the filter and then Apply the router settings and then login.

I have previously used the Hanewin and I was only able to stream about 25 Mbps over SMB and I was able to do 70 or 80 with Hanewin when I had tested it with the "Birds" mkv files. I am currently using a WD MyBook Live (3 TB) and I have a NAS which is having a built-in NFS serve and this is just working very well for me. You just have to browse to Files on the Network and then select the NFS option and then go to the folder you want to add and share. If it is possible than even you can try the same.

I am glad if it is working for you but I don’t think that the problem has actually gone away. I appreciate that you got a solution to access your work and getting out from the malfunction of the firmware but then I personally feel that if we all do the same to get rid of this problem by checking various workaround then I think that the Boxee team will not get aware of this problem as people will try this solution rather than bringing it up to the Boxee team. I think that it is crucial to bring this to the boxee team and get it solved by them.

I have recently switched to NFS through the
    guide and it was really very easy to set it up and use it as well.

I personally think that wired network is always better than the wireless no matter what protocol you use.I have just know switched to the NFS in order to have a better performance.I am currently having a wireless bridge with DD-WRT and I have found that while streaming through the SMB the routers crash.I think that the NFS on the other hand is better and it gives less load as well and it even outperforms SMB by 20mbps and I have myself tested it.